Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl99els.v9c.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper

In article <0rc9999osl91110knbdoi2gok218qegll9@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Sandman
So you are talking about "the hard way"; manual when you are talking about this suppose "back-up protocol"?

Tony Cooper
What are you trying to say? That doesn't make sense.

Sandman
I am pointing to the fact that you seem to be refering to both manual and automatic backup's as "protocols". Assuming you don't call it your "file copying protocol" when you copy a file, the term is valid and descriptive, but unsual to be used for an automatic process - which is why nospam assumed you were doing things "the hard way"; manually.

Tony Cooper
I don't see why anyone should think a protocol for an automatic back-up system is unusual.

Sandman
I'm not sure they think it's "unusual", but they don't generally refer to an automatic process as a "protocol", be it backup or memory management

Tony Cooper
They shouldn't. It isn't. The automatic process is not a protocol.

Full circle in the circus :)

The developer has included a protocol that allows these user settings to be followed automatically. The user is determining additional steps to the protocol.

Sandman
What "additional steps" do they add to the protocol?

Tony Cooper
The user's backup protocol can include the frequency of backup and the destination of the backup. The developer's protocol can include the ability to add these steps.

This is becoming a big soup of terms used to mean pretty much nothing.

You say above that automatic backup is not a protocol, but turning it on is part of the protocol?

You seem confused, and tangled.

Sandman
You can't read. You are the only one that has talked about *YOUR* Lightroom backup.

Tony Cooper
Well, I can't very well talk about yours, can I? I don't even know for sure that you have Lightroom, or what your user-defined settings are.

That has to be one of the weirdest objections that I've ever seen here.

This has nothing to do with Lightroom.

Tony Cooper Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/24/2013 <ioq499trmngu956n9cse3ds7nuel5cg2hm@4ax.com>

"I know you can set a back-up protocol to back up multiple drives"

nospam Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/24/2013 <241120131658271157%nospam@nospam.invalid>

"what you don't know is that backups can be automated and the number of drives makes no difference. the computer doesn't care if it's one or 15 drives."

Tony Cooper Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/24/2013 <nsv49954017e3o0vgdnjifvtbo7mrfbdg1@4ax.com>

"What do you think a "back-up protocol" is?"

Implying that automated backups are "back-up protocols". nospam's reply:

"i've never heard it called that."

Your reply - in full troll swing:

"Oh, I see. Which part is new to you? "Back-up"? You know what is entailed in backing-up files? Do I need to explain this?"

Not "Oh, well that's what I call it", no, Tony has to make a big thing out of this. No one had questioned his usage of "protocol", nospam only said he hadn't heard it before, that's all the reason Tony needed for full-on patronize-mode!

Sandman
Thanks for not trying to argue your "point" and revert back to trollish ad hominems again. I love it when I'm right.

Tony Cooper
It remains one of the best laughs of the week for me. Two self-anointed techies who think something is "automatic" because the user thinks it's automatic.

Sandman
Lying comes way too easily for you.

Tony Cooper
The absolute truth. I laughed out loud.

I have no idea why lying makes you laugh, but hey - don't let me get in your way.

-- Sandman[.net]