Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl98gue.u9i.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (35m) > Sandman

In article <u0u6991kdi98jcjplgo7f9euku0q80sqq2@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
A "protocol" is the standard way something is done. While you may determine the steps in your head, it isn't a protocol until it's initiated and put into place. The fact that you initiate certain steps manually doesn't change anything. If you manually change the back-up to go to device B instead of device A, you are still following the protocol because the protocol says you must manually designate a change in destination devices.

Sandman
So you are talking about "the hard way"; manual when you are talking about this suppose "back-up protocol"?

Tony Cooper
What are you trying to say? That doesn't make sense.

I am pointing to the fact that you seem to be refering to both manual and automatic backup's as "protocols". Assuming you don't call it your "file copying protocol" when you copy a file, the term is valid and descriptive, but unsual to be used for an automatic process - which is why nospam assumed you were doing things "the hard way"; manually.

A protocol is an established standard way of doing something. It can include manual steps. The Lightroom back-up protocol is that the LR file will be backed-up to whatever drive I specify at whatever frequency I specify. I can change the drive and the frequency manually. I can set it once and let it automatically follow that setting in the future.

What's so hard to understand about that?

What gave you the idea that something as basic and simple as that would be hard to understand to anyone?? No one has talked about your lightroom backup but you, and no one but you cares about it.

How do you think an "automatic" process comes to be? Someone first decides what the process will be, and then writes it into the system.

Sandman
So... that makes it manual to you, Tony? It is automatic to the one using it.

Tony Cooper
Ahh...there we go. "It is automatic to the one using it." This is the Humpty Dumpty definition of words. "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less." (Alice in Wonderland)

Thanks for providing the silliness I expected from you.

Thanks for not trying to argue your "point" and revert back to trollish ad hominems again. I love it when I'm right.

-- Sandman[.net]