Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl99du2.v9c.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (54m) > Sandman

In article <1nm89997ts90b38qo4kkr909katf2s578m@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

nospam
that's very different than how often someone will be backing up and to where. a backup program could use ftp to back up, although it's very unlikely that it would.

you're well outside of your league.

Tony Cooper
Why do you think "Protocol" is in that term? It says "This is the standard". My reference is not comparing FTP to back-ups, but to try to show you that "Protocol" is used to mean the "standard" way something is done. Your backup protocol is the standard way you will do backups.

Sandman
Stop using "standard" as a synonym for the word "protocol", they are not.

A protocol is a set of rules and/or steps in a given procedure. It need not be "standard" in any way, and may even have never been used.

Tony Cooper
Protocols determine the standard way of doing something.

No they don't. Maybe you mean "preferred" or something else.

When you follow a given set of rules in doing a particular task, those rules become the standard for that task.

Much like if I eat a sandwich with cheese for breakfast, that becomes the standard breakfast for me, but that doesn't make "cheese" and "standard" synonyms.

A protocol CAN be used as the standard, but they are not synonyms. There exists many protocols that aren't standard procedure.

As an example - the standard way for exiting an office building is to take the lift down to the ground floor and use the main door in the lounge.

In case of fire, which may never have occured, there is an evacuation protocol that means you should take the stairs and exit through the emergency exits in the back. That's a protocol and it's not standard.

This is more of a language issue than a computer issue. You are evidently thinking that I am using it to mean "a standard". I have not. A protocol is "the standard" for the task.

"A standard" would be something that can be adopted for many uses, and you are correct that protocols are not "a standard". However, using "the" instead of "a" the usage becomes limited to that one task and is a correct use. Also, using "the standard" is not using the word as a synonym because it is used an adjective, not a noun.

Only, "standard" both as a noun and adjective both refer to the norm, the normal usage, or average, and you can have ton of protocols that are outside the norm or normal usage.

standard: noun something used as a measure, norm, or model in comparative evaluations

adjective used or accepted as normal or average

-- Sandman[.net]