Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/25/2013 16:44 (11/25/2013 10:44)
Message-ID<ifr699ptf6lcr7qmcaem0sn8bl8bfv2u3a@4ax.com>
FollowsYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
FollowupsPeterN (2h & 26m)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:33:38 +0100, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle <FautLaDemander@simple.org>wrote:

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Le 24/11/13 22:25, Tony Cooper a écrit :

Tony Cooper
But, with the availability of relatively inexpensive multi-terrabyte external drives, getting all your files on one drive is not difficult. With all your files on one drive, you can back up all files at one time. Backing up the drives is the most protective action you can take.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
I have my backup done (on a large disk) by Time Machine. No problem. As long as there is enough space for my data. Well archive is another problem than backups ; how does your guy adress the archive problem ? This is a real question. Extractible drives ? DVD pairs ? Do you use a database with mountable capabilities ? ( I liked Imatch when I was on windows 2000, ages before using Snow Leopard, because it did that. Please insert disk No, drive No, and other devices...)

Tony Cooper
I know you can set a back-up protocol to back up multiple drives,

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
I dont. I use a system who does :).

That "system" you use does so because you instructed it to do so. You have set your back-up protocol to use multiple drives. At some point, you had to designate where the back-ups were to be sent.

Tony Cooper
the one-drive system works for most people.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
One -drive or several drives does. Yeah backup is vital anyway. I have several TO on my machine, and I would not be confortable with the idea of having "all eggs in the same basket". Drives breaks, you know.

What Tim is suggesting is that all images should be kept in one master file, not that this file is kept *only* on one drive. That one file can be backed-up on several drives. If you have a failure of one drive, you have that file on another (or several other) drives.

What he discourages is having your images scattered around in more than one file. He uses folders within that master file, but this is optional.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN (2h & 26m)