Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl95t92.ksa.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
Followupsnospam (24m)

In article <1s4599pp9srqdhg0nn8o7s85j1ua7a2psm@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

nospam
backing up more than one drive can also be done at one time.

you must be doing it the hard way, manually, which does not surprise me in the least.

you're a hypocrite, but we knew that.

Tony Cooper
Who's "we"? You have no idea what anyone else thinks about my posts.

Seriously?

nospam
what you don't know is that backups can be automated and the number of drives makes no difference. the computer doesn't care if it's one or 15 drives.

Tony Cooper
What do you think a "back-up protocol" is?

nospam
i've never heard it called that.

Tony Cooper
Oh, I see. Which part is new to you? "Back-up"? You know what is entailed in backing-up files? Do I need to explain this?

Here nospam just said that he hadn't heard it called that way. Tony's response - Ad hominems and willfull misinterpretation.

A "protocol" is a system that is followed to do something. A protocol is established in order to do the same thing the same way every time we do it. A protocol also establishes when we do it.

Here Tony is trying to define the word "protocol" as if nospam had said that he doesn't know what the word "protocol" means instead of saying that he hadn't heard it being called "back-up protocol". Tony takes every chance he get to be as condescending as possible, in spite of nospam not condescending him in the post he is replying to.

So, a "back-up protocol" is a system devised by the user that tells him when to back-up the files, where to back-up the files to, and anything else routinely done in the back-up process.

But here's the funny part. Nospam above posted about he thinking Tony did this manually and that it can be automated, Tony answered with "What do you think a 'backup protocol' is?" implying that a "back-up protocol" is something done automatic.

Then he takes all this time to explain something that does not need to be automatically done at all. "A system devised by the user that tells him when to back-up the files" can be notes written on a paper.

In Lightroom, the user establishes the back-up protocol for the LR files (not the actual image files) under "Catalog Settings". The user chooses how often to back-up and where the back-up goes.

It's not a term I invented. It's a common term, and Google will provide many articles on back-up protocol.

Tony here seems to think that "Backup protocol" is something the user has to enable, define and set up in each application, while nospam is talking about the built in system-wide and automatic backup mechanism in OSX. So, in essence, there is no "backup protocol" in OSX, there is just "backup". No protocol needed. You turn it on and voila, your computer is 100% backed up. Congratulations.

-- Sandman[.net]

nospam (24m)