Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date12/05/2013 17:28 (12/05/2013 11:28)
Message-ID<3v81a9d2aatfbvcdjimod1efcmf0t99c2m@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (9m)

On 5 Dec 2013 15:32:57 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <ho41a9decsbcv4gq59t2d6c349u7qbb3td@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

See what I mean? No, Andreas, a "requirement" is NOT "what you want to do". That's a "desire" or "yearning" or "inclination" or "aspiration" or any other synonym for "want". A requirement is something that is necessary, compuslory or needed.

Tony Cooper
This is a good example of the limited thinking ability of our Swedish Popinjay when it comes to the understanding of words. A "requirement" is most certainly what you "want to do".

Sandman
Nope.

Tony Cooper
In the context of the user-defined steps in a backup protocol, requirements are determined by the wants of the user.

Sandman
Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that "requirement" means "what you want to do". Words can be related to each other, and conditional upon each other, yet not have the same meaning.

Tony Cooper
I have two external drives. It is not "necessary, compulsory, or needed" for my backups to be directed to either or both of those drives.

Sandman
No, but they are a requirement if you want to do a backup to either or both of them.

What's this? Stating the obvious? Should I mock you?

Actually, your statement here is exactly my point: "they are a requirement if you want..."

Tony Cooper
But, I want them to be directed to these drives.

Sandman
So you make their presence be a requirement - i.e. necessary, compulsory or neeeded. Voila.

Just so you'll know, "Viola" without the grave accent is a musical instrument. The word "Voilà" is actually a contraction of vois là, or "see there".

Tony Cooper
Therefore, in my backup protocol, I make this a requirement. Requirement follows want.

Sandman
It may, to some extent.

To all extent. No requirement follows something that is not wanted in some way. Shallow-thinking.

That doesn't equate the word "requirement" with the phrase "what you want to do".

As you say, "incorrect".

Tony Cooper
In any context, not necessarily computer-context, a requirement is simply the manifestation of a want.

Without it being wanted, it is not a requirement.

Sandman
This is totally incorrect though. An iOS developer is required to purchase a Mac to run Xcode to develop applications. In many cases, this is against their wishes, and an unwanted and for some an unfortunate requirement. This is something driven by a *need*, not a *want*, quite clearly illsutrating the fact that the word "requirement" does NOT mean "what you want to do".

More limited thinking. You have misidentified the "want". The person wants to be an iOS developer. That creates the requirement.

Tony Cooper
Not all "want to do"s become requirements, but I didn't say that this is the case.

Sandman
Again, you should get yourself a real dictionary and learn a thing or two.

Understanding the definition of a word is not enough. You must learn when that word, with one of the word's definitions, can be used in context to effectively communicate a thought. Many words have more than one definition, and sometimes even definitions that are opposites. Contronyms, or Janus words, like "oversight" and "bolt" can plague the unwary writer or reader.

Some words, like "moot" or "table" (as in "table the motion") are defined differently by different cultural groups.

All-in-all, you do well English, but your rigid view of usage is an example of not seeing the forest for the trees. Or, maybe it's just pettiness on your part.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL