Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl9a696.eo.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (3h & 1m) > Sandman
Tony Cooper (3h & 12m) > Sandman

In article <llj99914fp7ga0hcsus7o6s3cqa2h3r0ue@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
What developer were you talking to when you said:

"I know you can set a back-up protocol to back up multiple drives, but the one-drive system works for most people."

Because now you're saying that the only protocol present in an automated backup is the one defined by the developer, yet above you were talking to Noelle about her being able to set up a "back-up protocol", but she's not a developer of backup systems as far as I'm aware...

Tony Cooper
No, I didn't say that. There's no "only" implied or expressed.

Fair enough.

The developer's backup protocol can include the ability to add user-defined steps. One such step is to backup on multiple drives.

So in a scenario where a user clicks "use" to enable the automatic backup that is NOT him adding his protocol to the developers protocol (whatever that may mean), but if he clicks *another* button to add another backup disc, then THAT is him adding his own protocol on top, or to, the developer's protocol? Is there some form of defined rule what constitutes "adding user-defined steps"?

What if the initial dialog asked him if he wanted to enable and it had "yes, use X for backup" and another button that said "Yes, use X and Y for backup" which means that by clicking that one button he had added multiple backup targets?

Tangle tangle tangle....

And the user adds his own protocol requirements of frequency and destination to the backup protocol of the developer.

Sandman
So clicking a button is now "adding his own protocol"?

Tony Cooper
Jesus! You are completely devoid of reading comprehension ability. I didn't say you "add a protocol". You add protocol *requirements*. The requirements are part of the protocol.

OK, yeah - you use words very randomly it seems, so it's hard to keep track of them.. What did you then mean when you said:

Tony Cooper Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/26/2013 <lcj89959nqrbfjkcn7kb7pa52kkcesbtlh@4ax.com>

"The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol."

user-defined added.. requirements?

Tangle tangle tangle...

You really should learn when to stop adding qualifiers to your statements. Why not let words be words - why argue for days that they mean only what you want them to mean for the moment.

Sandman
Even in the cases where you can determine frequency, you would call clicking a popup and choosing "hourly" (for instance) that the user is "adding his own protocol"?

Tony Cooper
Not as you wrote is, but Yes if you had the ability and smarts to form the statement in line with what I've said. When you click the popup to choose the frequency, you are adding a protocol requirement. Not a protocol, but a step that is a requirement in the protocol.

Right, so it's not a "back-up protocol", but rather a... "back-up protocol requirement" then? Just trying to untangle this mess here.

Look - I'm perfectly fine with you calling someone's backup method as a "protocol", you got into this mess because you choose to be all condescending towards someone whose only crime was to say that he had never heard that particular term being used. You are free to use it for whatever you want! You can do your usenet-posting protocol, or your objective-mounting protocol or whatever!

Your problem is that you will find EVERY chance you get to argue about ANYTHING for as long as possible.

I can't figure out if you are hampered in your understanding by language, intellectual capacity, or inability to process what you read.

See what I mean? Ad hominem's is all you've got.

You have so far not demonstrated any understanding of what a "protocol" is.

Contrary to you, I suppose? Haha :)

You seem to think that any step in a process is a protocol.

I really can't be held responsible for how things "seem" to you, Tony.

The protocol is the defined *series* of steps that will be done every time the task is initiated.

Mr Obvious strikes yet again. :)

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (3h & 1m) > Sandman
Tony Cooper (3h & 12m) > Sandman