Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date12/05/2013 16:03 (12/05/2013 10:03)
Message-ID<ho41a9decsbcv4gq59t2d6c349u7qbb3td@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (29m) > Tony Cooper

On 27 Nov 2013 20:01:55 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

(Tony Cooper wrote)

Tony Cooper
A requirement is what you want to do.

Sandman
See what I mean? No, Andreas, a "requirement" is NOT "what you want to do". That's a "desire" or "yearning" or "inclination" or "aspiration" or any other synonym for "want". A requirement is something that is necessary, compuslory or needed.

This is a good example of the limited thinking ability of our Swedish Popinjay when it comes to the understanding of words. A "requirement" is most certainly what you "want to do". In the context of the user-defined steps in a backup protocol, requirements are determined by the wants of the user.

I have two external drives. It is not "necessary, compulsory, or needed" for my backups to be directed to either or both of those drives. But, I want them to be directed to these drives. Therefore, in my backup protocol, I make this a requirement. Requirement follows want.

In any context, not necessarily computer-context, a requirement is simply the manifestation of a want. Someone wants it, so someone makes it a requirement. Without it being wanted, it is not a requirement. Not all "want to do"s become requirements, but I didn't say that this is the case.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL