Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/27/2013 01:57 (11/26/2013 19:57)
Message-ID<hifa999a0a7qsat638uflm7rstaaia43tv@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (6h & 11m) > Tony Cooper

On 26 Nov 2013 21:55:49 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <llj99914fp7ga0hcsus7o6s3cqa2h3r0ue@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
The developer's backup protocol can include the ability to add user-defined steps. One such step is to backup on multiple drives.

Sandman
So in a scenario where a user clicks "use" to enable the automatic backup that is NOT him adding his protocol to the developers protocol (whatever that may mean), but if he clicks *another* button to add another backup disc, then THAT is him adding his own protocol on top, or to, the developer's protocol? Is there some form of defined rule what constitutes "adding user-defined steps"?

I'll try to follow that muddle of dialog. There can be a "button" that initiates the process, but when you add a destination you are adding a user-defined step to the protocol.

What if the initial dialog asked him if he wanted to enable and it had "yes, use X for backup" and another button that said "Yes, use X and Y for backup" which means that by clicking that one button he had added multiple backup targets?

What about it? The program has been designed to allow these extra steps to the protocol.

Tony Cooper Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/26/2013 <lcj89959nqrbfjkcn7kb7pa52kkcesbtlh@4ax.com>

"The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol."

user-defined added.. requirements?

What's the question?

Even in the cases where you can determine frequency, you would call clicking a popup and choosing "hourly" (for instance) that the user is "adding his own protocol"?

Tony Cooper
Not as you wrote is, but Yes if you had the ability and smarts to form the statement in line with what I've said. When you click the popup to choose the frequency, you are adding a protocol requirement. Not a protocol, but a step that is a requirement in the protocol.

Sandman
Right, so it's not a "back-up protocol", but rather a... "back-up protocol requirement" then? Just trying to untangle this mess here.

Really? You don't understand this?

I'll tell you what. Write out on a piece of paper the steps you want your backup function to perform, but send the backup to just one destination. Preface each step with the word "requirement:"

Humor me and title that list "Backup Protocol".

After that's done, decide that you want the backup sent to two locations in the form of "Requirement: backup to Drive A." and "Requirement: backup to Drive B".

What's the best way to accomplish your new task?

Wouldn't it be adding that requirement to your existing Protocol?

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (6h & 11m) > Tony Cooper