Re: Paintshop and Corel

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromSavageduck
Date11/16/2013 21:32 (11/16/2013 12:32)
Message-ID<2013111612325278220-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsMI

On 2013-11-16 19:31:50 +0000, MI <quilchenapark@shaw.ca>said:

MI
On 11/16/13 10:49 AM, in article 2013111610494361729-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-16 18:32:59 +0000, "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>said:

Mayayana
| Personally the deal for 12 months is too good for any | Photoshop/Lightroom user to turn down. Whatever happens they will still | have their older copy of CS which qualifies them for the deal.

The whole point of such marketing is to get you hooked. They hope you won't be willing to go back to the old version after the deal is over. Meanwhile, if you found the added cost of $10/month worthwhile then you must already think the rental version is notably better than CS6, which implies that they can probably get away with a price increase at year's end, because you'll be loathe to return to CS6 by then.

Savageduck
Perhaps, perhaps. That said I have my copy of CS6 and while I can certainly live with it now. Having a 12 month promotional "trial" of CC was tempting. I am already thinking in terms of buying an LR5 upgrade to run with CS6 as a form of insurance. So for now I will live with the Adobe ambiguity and make any decision to renew once their intent is a tad clearer.

Mayayana
It's like cable TV promos that promise "only $xx for 6 months" without telling you the real price. Anyone who's not prone to lying to themselves will find out what the real price actually is and decide whether they want the product at *that* price.

(Salesmen rarely cheat outright. They just help one to lie to oneself.)

Savageduck
Yup! However, the big difference for current CS owners is, we will still have our original tools, whereas the cable subscriber who drops service after the promotional period has nothing.

MI
One thing to take into consideration of this "one year trial offer" is will you be able to go back to CS6.

Yes the RAW files remain the RAW files, adjusted TIFs, PSDs, & JPEGs remain standard format. I can take a layered TIF or PSD created in PS CC and open it in PS CS(x) without issue. All of the adjustments made in each layer remains intact. The exception would be losing the ability to repeat an adjustment unique to the later PS version. For example, if I had a layer as a "Smart Object" created in PS CC and I applied the "RAW Filter" which is not found in CS6, I would not get the benefit of that Smart Filter in CS6.

I know that you can not go back in Lightroom as one of my fellow students discovered a couple of years ago. The class was using LR2 and he bought LR3. When he took his LR2 work home and installed it on his LR3 version home he discovered (and so did the whole class) that he could no longer work LR3 work on the school's LR2 system.

It depends on what he was trying to do. If he was bringing a finished copy of his image file to demonstrate his final result, he should not have a problem. If he expected to be able to engage in collaborative or incremental work on the two different vintages of LR he is going to have a problem.

Each version of Lightroom maintains its own catalog system and the current version has to be upgraded & converted to run work stored in an earlier version, FOR CATALOGED DNG files and adjustments. for each version LR the adjusted XMP data is stored in these catalog files.

For example, on this computer in my Lightroom folder, I have cat files for LR2, LR4, LR5 all living in harmony in the same folder. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_370.jpg >

Also, LR2, LR3, LR4, & LR5 each use different versions of the ACR engine making access to the nondestructive edits in different versions imposible. Only completed work, or original non-adjusted copies would be interchangeable.

For the LR3 student to export his completed work to be accessible on an earlier version he would have to export and save as a JPEG, TIF, PSD, PNG, DNG, or Original. Then bring file he has exported and saved to the school's LR2 via memory stick or cloud service has to be imported into the school's LR2. He would not be able to move back through any of the nondestructive adjustments he made on LR3, you would only see the results of what he/she did and make further adjustments from there.

Of course the school should consider discussing an educational package with Adobe.

I would be cautious of assuming that you can go backwards. New stuff shouldn't be a problem but if for some reason you want to work on an older photo you may not be able to.

You can move backwards, you just have to go about it logically with realistic expectations.

-- Regards,

Savageduck