Re: Paintshop and Corel

J. Clarke
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromJ. Clarke
Date11/27/2013 03:29 (11/26/2013 21:29)
Message-ID<MPG.2cff22f9798b4ab698a1cc@news.newsguy.com>
FollowsMayayana
FollowupsMayayana (1h & 54m) > J. Clarke

In article <l73kps$uqp$1@dont-email.me>, mayayana@invalid.nospam says...

Mayayana
| >Tony, just a comment here but someone working in IT would typically use | >"policy" to describe what you are referring to as a "protocol", which | >could be part the reason that people are being so argumentative. | | I don't know that usage. I'm not involved in IT in any way, so if | there's a jargon use for "policy", then it's new to me. | | I'd appreciate a definition of "policy" as it applies to IT work.

It typically refers to permissions/restrictions that IT people apply to employees. On Windows Pro installs there's a utility known as Group Policy Editor. It's a sort of super duper Registry tweaker, allowing network administrators to clandestinely override employee Registry settings with semi-secret group policy settings. For instance, IE settings exist under the \Software\Internet Explorer\ keys, but those can be overridden by setting the same values under the \Software\Policies\Internet Explorer\ keys... Leastways that's the normal protocol for use of the GPE. :)

There's nothing "clandestine" or "semi-secret" about it. Anybody with a copy of the Administrator's Pocket Companion has a lot of information about it, and anybody who wants to play with it can download a 180-day evaluation copy of the latest version of Server and play with it.

Administrators generally don't give employees a list of group policies that have been set mostly because it wouldn't make much sense to them if they weren't IT people.

Mayayana (1h & 54m) > J. Clarke