Re: Paintshop and Corel

nospam
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Fromnospam
Date12/02/2013 06:09 (12/02/2013 00:09)
Message-ID<021220130009027969%nospam@nospam.invalid>
Followsandroid

In article <bg2ib6Ffuq1U1@mid.individual.net>, android <here@there.was> wrote:

PeterN
A few months ago I heard that an SSD has a fairly short life cycle. That surprised me, as I thought the SSD would have a longer life cycle than a mechanical drive.

nospam
it does.

no moving parts goes a long way.

there will always be premature failures with any technology. always make backups.

android
Storage is like care tires. You were them out. Traditional disks are like standard tires, last long but not forever and SSDs are like low profile sports ones, better performance but with shorter lifecycle if readandwrites is the key factor. Theoretically SSDs would last longer, if you don't use them.

they last longer even if you do use them. some have a 10 year warranty.

chances are they'll be replaced with a larger capacity ssd before they wear out, likely along with the computer too.

early ssds did have some teething problems, but those days are long gone. don't let that cloud your impression of where ssds are now, or where they will be going forward.

Fast small conventional disks in a raid0 should give you the best cost effective high performance solution for swap and scratch. But thats my opinion and the SSDs are getting better.

that doesn't fit inside a laptop.

the best compromise of price, performance and capacity is a mix of both ssd and hard drive.

Remember that a flashdrive needs a charge now and then or it will lose its data.

incorrect.

meanwhile, hard drives need to be spun up every once in a while or they won't spin up at all.