Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/26/2013 16:55 (11/26/2013 10:55)
Message-ID<05g999lkhem1rncu0dqogl94ldrouod878@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (6h & 2m) > Tony Cooper

On 26 Nov 2013 15:00:18 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <1nm89997ts90b38qo4kkr909katf2s578m@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Stop using "standard" as a synonym for the word "protocol", they are not.

A protocol is a set of rules and/or steps in a given procedure. It need not be "standard" in any way, and may even have never been used.

Tony Cooper
Protocols determine the standard way of doing something.

Sandman
No they don't. Maybe you mean "preferred" or something else.

This conversation can't progress until you do some research and understand what the word "protocol" means in this context. Also, look up "preferred". Try to understand the difference between "always do this" and "do this when it suits you".

Tony Cooper
When you follow a given set of rules in doing a particular task, those rules become the standard for that task.

Sandman
Much like if I eat a sandwich with cheese for breakfast, that becomes the standard breakfast for me, but that doesn't make "cheese" and "standard" synonyms.

No, but you could consider your steps in making that cheese sandwich to be your protocol for cheese sandwich production if you always follow the same exact steps. It wouldn't, but you might.

Tony Cooper
This is more of a language issue than a computer issue. You are evidently thinking that I am using it to mean "a standard". I have not. A protocol is "the standard" for the task.

"A standard" would be something that can be adopted for many uses, and you are correct that protocols are not "a standard". However, using "the" instead of "a" the usage becomes limited to that one task and is a correct use. Also, using "the standard" is not using the word as a synonym because it is used an adjective, not a noun.

Sandman
Only, "standard" both as a noun and adjective both refer to the norm, the normal usage, or average, and you can have ton of protocols that are outside the norm or normal usage.

Evidently, you can't wrap your head around the difference between "a standard" and "the standard". I can't help you there.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (6h & 2m) > Tony Cooper