Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl98n6e.uhi.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (6h & 46m) > Sandman

In article <lcj89959nqrbfjkcn7kb7pa52kkcesbtlh@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
It is automatic *for the user* and not a protocol *for the user*,

Tony Cooper
I have no idea what you're trying to say there. What does "for the user" mean?

I... don't know how to write it in any simpler form.

Sandman
just like erasing a hard drive isn't a protocol *for the user* since all they do is press a button,

Tony Cooper
In this case, though you are describing it poorly, you are referring to an action that does not need a user-defined protocol because the user does not need a standard set of steps to accomplish the action.

Just like automatic backup, then. Heeey, sounds like what I've been saying all along, doesn't it?

The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol.

"Can"? Are you now saying that both file copying and backup are governed by protocols but you would only call backup a "protocol" since you "can" add things to this supposed protocol?

Here is the user implementing backup in an automatic system:

http://tinyurl.com/pju45q7

Please define in clear terms how he or she is adding items to the protocol.

The user determines a backup protocol that determines the frequency of backups and the location of where the backups are sent.

Again, he or she attaches an external drive, and this is shown:

http://tinyurl.com/pju45q7

No settings for frequency, and by hitting that button, the system already knows the location. Boom, all done. Automatic backup every hour around the clock.

Some programs, but not all by any means, allow the user to add this information and have that protocol followed automatically in the future.

So some backup functions are protocols and some are not? How automatic does it need to become to not be a protocol?

You're so tangled up here, it's not even funny.

Nospam only said he hadn't heard the term being used, not that you were wrong to use it. He didn't argue with you, but you took the opportunity to create yet another Tony Circus where you can argue about anything for any amount of time.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (6h & 46m) > Sandman