Re: Paintshop and Corel

nospam
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Fromnospam
Date12/02/2013 15:47 (12/02/2013 09:47)
Message-ID<021220130947497101%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsMayayana
FollowupsPeterN (5h & 56m) > nospam

In article <l7i596$4tm$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>wrote:

Mayayana
| >The memory cells used in SSD have a limited number of write cycles, | >limiting the life of an SSD drive: | | nothing lasts forever. | | some ssds now come with longer warranties than hard drives. that should | tell you something.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/ars-technica-system-guide-august-2013/2 /

This one is guaranteed for 3 years.

this one is warranted for 10 <http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Patriot-Memory-SSD-Warranty-Torqx,8222. html>

What that tells me is that they feel a need to reassure people that SSDs are ready for use.

they absolutely are ready, and with a huge speed boost too.

Most hard disks last 10 years+, though occasional failures can happen at any age.

no. 10 years is unusually long for a hard drive. definitely not most.

disk failures start to increase dramatically after 3-4 years, according to numerous studies.

I've never noticed warranties on hard disks, and the article linked above doesn't mention them.

usually 1 year, sometimes 3. it used to be 5, but drive makers cut back on it. think about why they might have done that.

People know what to expect with a hard disk.

only because ssds are new. people fear change.

The problem with warranties is that at best they only replace specific loss. Pressure treated wood used to be guaranteed not to rot. So if your fence falls down you have to replace it, but the $5 posts will be free, assuming you saved all of your paperwork.... Great. Likewise with a failed drive. You *might* be covered if you saved receipts, registered online, and all that rigmarole. But you won't be reimbursed for data and time lost.

obviously the warranty won't replace data. how could it?

send in the dead drive, get back a working drive, restore from backup. not a big deal.

Not that I'm criticizing SSDs. It's just that you're taking sides with emotional, rather than rational, motivation.

nope. i'm presenting the facts.

PeterN (5h & 56m) > nospam