Re: Advocacy

Doomsdrzej
SubjectRe: Advocacy
FromDoomsdrzej
Date09/07/2017 14:14 (09/07/2017 14:14)
Message-ID<JKasB.45948$xI2.15298@fx42.iad>
FollowsMelzzzzz
FollowupsSteve Carroll (Snit) (3m)

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 23:12:38 +0000, Melzzzzz wrote:

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej
1) Installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 2) Upgraded to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers 3) Noticed a symbolic link issue with the NVIDIA drivers 4) Followed instructions to fix it from an Ubuntu group 5) The "fix" screwed everything up 6) Reinstalled the whole operating system out of a lack of interest for fixing the issue by hand (without deleting the two other partitions) 7) 10 minutes later, back to square one with all of the settings intact. 8) Awesome.

Melzzzzz
Ahahahahhahahah. Try Manjaro, you have proprietary there on install ;)

That's fine but I like Ubuntu 17.04 because it seems to be the first one to include "msi-keyboard" as a package which makes the backlighting of my laptop's keyboard a lot easier to manage, especially with an alias.

I should mention that the symbolic link issue with the proprietary driver in Ubuntu has affected a number of users but doesn't really cause any kind of issue other than claiming that two files are not symbolic links whenever you upgrade the system. The problem with the "fix" is that the user in question had essentially posted an erroneous link which associated incompatible files so obviously, when you load the system, it stays in a loop. In my case, I simply copy-pasted what he suggested as a solution after seeing that someone else said it "worked" for him but did not notice that someone, much later, specified that it caused a greater issue. No big deal either way: ten minutes is what it took to have the system back up and running as it did before. My advocacy was related to how quickly someone, using Linux, could restore his computer to working order after a "disaster."

I just find it alarming how most of you, rather than accept the advocacy, would rather just insult me. However, I've become numb to it; it's pretty much the only thing you guys do.

-- Doomsdrzej EFF & OpenMedia member Gab: @doomsdrzej