Re: Advocacy

Doomsdrzej
SubjectRe: Advocacy
FromDoomsdrzej
Date09/07/2017 14:18 (09/07/2017 14:18)
Message-ID<pOasB.45949$xI2.12844@fx42.iad>
FollowsMelzzzzz

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 23:29:46 +0000, Melzzzzz wrote:

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 9/6/17, 4:20 PM, in article oopvr5$35q$3@news.albasani.net, "Melzzzzz" <Melzzzzz@zzzzz.com>wrote:

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, William Poaster <wp@dev.null>wrote:

William Poaster
On 7/9/2017 00:12 in comp.os.linux.advocacy, Melzzzzz posted:

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej
1) Installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 2) Upgraded to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers 3) Noticed a symbolic link issue with the NVIDIA drivers 4) Followed instructions to fix it from an Ubuntu group 5) The "fix" screwed everything up 6) Reinstalled the whole operating system out of a lack of interest for fixing the issue by hand (without deleting the two other partitions) 7) 10 minutes later, back to square one with all of the settings intact. 8) Awesome.

Melzzzzz
Ahahahahhahahah. Try Manjaro, you have proprietary there on install ;)

William Poaster
Don't worry, he'll screw that up as well.

Melzzzzz
Seems that he has lot of problems, yet he claims he installed Linux in 90es ;)

Snit
Hey, not long ago several of the "advocates" were whining Windows 10 kept bluescreening on them. Hey, Slimer included. LOL!

Melzzzzz
I never saw system crash on Windows 10, to be honest.

Oh, it does. It happened to me because of the faulty network driver as well as a corrupted trackpad driver installed by one of those "automatic driver update" programs. Hell, it even happened to my wife.

To say the least though, networking AND the trackpad work better in Linux now than they ever did in Windows. I say that with complete sincerity. Also, I have yet to see my laptop freeze as a result of one or the other. As I specified months ago, my last experience with Linux contained "freezing" but only because I dared to install three media management applications at once and they caused some sort of dependency issue which - for whatever reason - could not be resolved when all of them were removed from the installation.

Even this latest NVIDIA issue is the result of me trusting a "fix" found on a web forum. Had I not touched it at all and simply ignored the error message about two files not being symbolic links, not only would NVIDIA still work correctly but so would the rest of my system. The lesson here, for me anyway, is that if you don't touch Linux and simply let it do its thing regardless of errors, chances are that it will keep working for you. It's that realization which makes me confident enough to install it on my relatives' systems.

-- Doomsdrzej EFF & OpenMedia member Gab: @doomsdrzej