Re: Advocacy

Marek Novotny
SubjectRe: Advocacy
FromMarek Novotny
Date09/07/2017 14:36 (09/07/2017 07:36)
Message-ID<9aadnaD38P2noCzEnZ2dnUU7-b-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsDoomsdrzej
FollowupsDoomsdrzej (4m)

On 2017-09-07, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej

Marek Novotny

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej
1) Installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 2) Upgraded to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers 3) Noticed a symbolic link issue with the NVIDIA drivers 4) Followed instructions to fix it from an Ubuntu group 5) The "fix" screwed everything up 6) Reinstalled the whole operating system out of a lack of interest for fixing the issue by hand (without deleting the two other partitions) 7) 10 minutes later, back to square one with all of the settings intact. 8) Awesome.

Melzzzzz
Ahahahahhahahah. Try Manjaro, you have proprietary there on install ;)

Marek Novotny
We'll have to make a video of Slimer installing dkms, creating a new initramfs, adjusting grub and blacklisting Nouveau and then installing nvidia. Would be fun to watch him back that out. If he thinks Ubuntu is hard he needs to go back to Windows.

Doomsdrzej
I never said that Ubuntu was hard. Don't put words in my mouth.

My apologies

Besides, people way more experienced than I were complaining about the issue in Linux web forums. If people who have been using Linux for years weren't sure about how to fix the issue, I think that it is understandable that I wouldn't either and that I was thus very open to accepting assistance in repairing the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't work and caused a greater issue.

I know people that have used it for ten years that wouldn't know how to fix is simply because they have never experienced the issue. As I always say, if Linux is important to you, buy hardware certified and designed to run it.

-- Marek Novotny https://github.com/marek-novotny