Re: Advocacy

Marek Novotny
SubjectRe: Advocacy
FromMarek Novotny
Date09/08/2017 21:21 (09/08/2017 14:21)
Message-ID<0tCdneE80KUhcC_EnZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsRonB
FollowupsSnit (13m)
fr314159@gmail.com (19m)

On 2017-09-08, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>wrote:

RonB
On 2017-09-07, Marek Novotny <marek.novotny@marspolar.com>wrote:

// snip

Marek Novotny
This is why I choose the iPhone over Android. I believe it has the better security and update mechanics. I only hope iOS 11 finally gives me a universal file system like repo, otherwise I might just go back to Android. I have a love / hate relationship with Google though. On the one hand their services are outstanding. On the other they like to collect everything and serve me ads and honestly, it's the ads that bother me the most on the Internet. Even more than Snit ever could.

RonB
Hating is starting to take the predominate emotion for me in regards to Google. Even if Google was beign (which I don't think they are) they're getting too big of a share of just about everything they're inolved with. I want choice.

The thing about Google is that even if they are "not evil" now, they have set themselves up to be whatever they like. You might see a new CEO with a completely different agenda.

The thing about mobile is a little scary. People carry it everywhere. And pretty soon Google started to tell us that we might be late for work if we didn't leave right now. And that right there got me. That phone was monitoring my every move and figured out when I was going to work and how I was getting there.

It read my mail and started to track my packages for me. Nice feature and all, but why is my phone reading my email?? Why is my phone monitoring my movements?

Take a photo and they want to store it in their cloud. Label the photo with a name and have a contact with that name, oh my you just told Google who it is and if that person is on a Google phone then Google has all their data too.

Pretty soon you don't label a photo in your photo album but they do it for you. They have all the data of the people you know and they know who your circle of friends are. Your friends took photos of you and labeled them, telling Google what you look like. Now everyone your photo pops up anywhere, Google has already applied meta-data to it saying that it is you.

Now we are starting to buy things with our phones. At least I am. If I take lyft, I pay via Apple Pay. Google has a service too. So where you go, what you buy, what your travel habits are, what goes on in your email and how it fits together with your friends, family, and perhaps even work are all part of Google's gathered data on you.

We're paying to be tagged and cataloged.

If I go look at a new LTO7 drive on the Internet, after that, every ad I see on any page I happen to visit that is running Google's ad network, will start to push me ads for that LTO7 drive.

I have to say, on the one hand I love these services. I really did like that the phone just started to tell me when my train was leaving. It got smart and freaking cool. But at the same time it's a little weird.

Perhaps Google was right. There is no privacy. Get over it.

-- Marek Novotny https://github.com/marek-novotny