SubjectRe: Advocacy
Message-ID<D5D6B974.B5001%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsDoomsdrzej

On 9/7/17, 5:30 AM, in article 2_asB.45951$xI2.2045@fx42.iad, "Doomsdrzej" <me@home.is>wrote:

William Poaster
Don't worry, he'll screw that up as well.

Marek Novotny
Like a TV ad where the woman in the kitchen is suddenly all thumbs cause she doesn't have the magic bullet blender. But with the magic bullet blender she's suddenly a five star chef. Is the mass population that totally dependent on Windows? So sad... At least he tried Linux. I'll always give him that.

Doomsdrzej
You don't seem to understand my motivations for using it. I'll try to make them as simple as possible. They are in no particular order:

1) Ad-infested "free" software in proprietary systems like Windows and Android.

2) Drive-by malware installations in proprietary systems including Android (happened twice in the last week according to an anti-virus)

3) Software feels bloated in Windows.

4) A continuous lack of security. For example, my brother changed his Windows password and was looking for a way back in to retrieve photos. He tried all sorts of schemes but eventually settled for my solution which was to simply use a USB Linux key and venture into the Pictures folders which are not secured in any way. You'd expect at least a semblance of encryption for all of his private data but there is none to have with Windows unless you use third-party software or buy hardware with TPMS as well as a Pro license. To say the least, that realization prompted him to give Linux Mint a try.

5) The understanding that surveillance malware of all types can be found in "free" software as well as the operating system itself without a user's realization.

6) The understanding that Microsoft CONTINUES to collaborate with the CIA and NSA to easily spy on users through the operating system and their "free" communications services.

7) The realization that the operating systems - as well as some of the software in both Windows and Android - can and will update your software without your approval and give you no way of returning to a previous, superior version.

8) The understanding that much of the same kinds of people who were responsible for Bolshevism, the rise of Communism and the total appropriation of all forms of media as well as education systems all over the world had control over the software industry and could easily take over our hardware or operate in a fashion that is contrary to what one would consider to be ethical.

As such, I keep getting drawn back to Linux. Windows works better for certain things and is especially better for gaming, but the use of proprietary software, honestly, goes against my principles. I still think that the people behind excellent software should be remunerated, but I would hope that in exchange these people would be willing to allow an experienced, ethical programmer to look at the code if there was even a doubt that the software was working against the user.

Excellent post... great advocacy without lying that Linux helps you get tasks done better.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>