Re: Advocacy

Doomsdrzej
SubjectRe: Advocacy
FromDoomsdrzej
Date09/08/2017 22:14 (09/08/2017 22:14)
Message-ID<oSCsB.58891$RI2.40353@fx11.iad>
FollowsRonB
FollowupsSnit (4m)

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 18:52:41 +0000, RonB wrote:

RonB
On 2017-09-07, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej

Marek Novotny
On 2017-09-07, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej

Marek Novotny
On 2017-09-06, William Poaster <wp@dev.null>wrote:

William Poaster
On 7/9/2017 00:12 in comp.os.linux.advocacy, Melzzzzz posted:

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej
1) Installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 2) Upgraded to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers 3) Noticed a symbolic link issue with the NVIDIA drivers 4) Followed instructions to fix it from an Ubuntu group 5) The "fix" screwed everything up 6) Reinstalled the whole operating system out of a lack of interest for fixing the issue by hand (without deleting the two other partitions) 7) 10 minutes later, back to square one with all of the settings intact. 8) Awesome.

Melzzzzz
Ahahahahhahahah. Try Manjaro, you have proprietary there on install ;)

William Poaster
Don't worry, he'll screw that up as well.

Marek Novotny
Like a TV ad where the woman in the kitchen is suddenly all thumbs cause she doesn't have the magic bullet blender. But with the magic bullet blender she's suddenly a five star chef. Is the mass population that totally dependent on Windows? So sad... At least he tried Linux. I'll always give him that.

Doomsdrzej
You don't seem to understand my motivations for using it. I'll try to make them as simple as possible. They are in no particular order:

1) Ad-infested "free" software in proprietary systems like Windows and Android.

2) Drive-by malware installations in proprietary systems including Android (happened twice in the last week according to an anti-virus)

3) Software feels bloated in Windows.

4) A continuous lack of security. For example, my brother changed his Windows password and was looking for a way back in to retrieve photos. He tried all sorts of schemes but eventually settled for my solution which was to simply use a USB Linux key and venture into the Pictures folders which are not secured in any way. You'd expect at least a semblance of encryption for all of his private data but there is none to have with Windows unless you use third-party software or buy hardware with TPMS as well as a Pro license. To say the least, that realization prompted him to give Linux Mint a try.

5) The understanding that surveillance malware of all types can be found in "free" software as well as the operating system itself without a user's realization.

6) The understanding that Microsoft CONTINUES to collaborate with the CIA and NSA to easily spy on users through the operating system and their "free" communications services.

7) The realization that the operating systems - as well as some of the software in both Windows and Android - can and will update your software without your approval and give you no way of returning to a previous, superior version.

8) The understanding that much of the same kinds of people who were responsible for Bolshevism, the rise of Communism and the total appropriation of all forms of media as well as education systems all over the world had control over the software industry and could easily take over our hardware or operate in a fashion that is contrary to what one would consider to be ethical.

As such, I keep getting drawn back to Linux. Windows works better for certain things and is especially better for gaming, but the use of proprietary software, honestly, goes against my principles. I still think that the people behind excellent software should be remunerated, but I would hope that in exchange these people would be willing to allow an experienced, ethical programmer to look at the code if there was even a doubt that the software was working against the user.

Marek Novotny
All good reasons, but obviously booting a few seconds faster and being able to play video games trumps that entire list, eh? Maybe that's not fair of me to assume. So in your words, what was so bad that trumped that fine list of yours and put you back on Windows?

Doomsdrzej
When I went back to Windows the last time (after making those videos to show that yes, indeed, it boots slower), I thought that it might be best to keep Windows and have access to the FIFA games which I find myself playing more than anything else. However, I've since watched two documentaries exposing the way certain way work behind the scenes to take over all facets of society to surveil and control us (about twelve hours of documentary film) and felt increasingly uncomfortable with proprietary software. Additionally, my Android phone started installing software I never agreed to have and starting forcing ads down my throat. The worst part of it is that it's software made by Alcatel FOR this Alcatel phone and therefore impossible to remove. Knowing that they could ruin my phone's experience without my permission allowed me to better understand why people might be reluctant to see the same thing happen in Windows.

RonB
Yeah, I'm getting to hate Google as much as I hate Microsoft. Which is why, when my wife moved from Android to iPhone recently, I just shrugged. I'm no fan of Apple either but there was a time when I was thrilled that Android was taking the market. I'll use my Blackberry until it falls apart.

I'm actually regretting the fact that I abandoned the unlocked Blackberry Z10 I had just because I switched cell phone providers. I should have kept it and brought it over. The phone was great even though the unit I had was visibly used. It's a shame I gave it away to a co-worker.

Doomsdrzej
I'll play FIFA on the Xbox One instead.

RonB
That's ... SOCCER ... right?

Yeah. The older I get, the more I appreciate the sport. My reasons are not purely the result of how entertaining I find it either. I just can't watch a sport where the players are essentially ruining their lives for us (hockey and football) because of the many concussions they receive and the eventual mental illness they suffer from. Even if I could, I simply can't watch a sport that is interrupted every ten minutes or so for yet another Dodge Caravan commercial. Those assholes spend so much on their ads during sports programs that you wonder why they can't put a fraction of it on their cars to actually make a reliable/attractive product for one. Soccer is only interrupted at the half and I can't recall a soccer player ever dying of an injury suffered during a game. Sure, they might die ON the field because of how intensive the cardio workout is, but concussions are rare and never seem to lead to mental illness.

-- Doomsdrzej EFF & OpenMedia member Gab: @doomsdrzej

Snit (4m)