Re: Advocacy

Doomsdrzej
SubjectRe: Advocacy
FromDoomsdrzej
Date09/07/2017 14:37 (09/07/2017 14:37)
Message-ID<44bsB.45955$xI2.329@fx42.iad>
FollowsMarek Novotny
FollowupsMarek Novotny (4m) > Doomsdrzej

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 04:21:24 -0500, Marek Novotny wrote:

Marek Novotny
On 2017-09-07, William Poaster <wp@dev.null>wrote:

William Poaster
On 7/9/2017 03:40 in comp.os.linux.advocacy, Marek Novotny posted:

Marek Novotny

Melzzzzz

Marek Novotny

Melzzzzz
On 2017-09-06, Doomsdrzej <me@home.is>wrote:

Doomsdrzej
1) Installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 2) Upgraded to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers 3) Noticed a symbolic link issue with the NVIDIA drivers 4) Followed instructions to fix it from an Ubuntu group 5) The "fix" screwed everything up 6) Reinstalled the whole operating system out of a lack of interest for fixing the issue by hand (without deleting the two other partitions) 7) 10 minutes later, back to square one with all of the settings intact. 8) Awesome.

Melzzzzz
Ahahahahhahahah. Try Manjaro, you have proprietary there on install ;)

Marek Novotny
We'll have to make a video of Slimer installing dkms, creating a new initramfs, adjusting grub and blacklisting Nouveau and then installing nvidia. Would be fun to watch him back that out. If he thinks Ubuntu is hard he needs to go back to Windows.

Melzzzzz
Manjaro does that with script ;)

Marek Novotny
Manjara, Ubuntu, Mint, Suse all make it very easy. I'll have to get a camera on a tripod so I can show it being done manually on RHEL. Slimer will freak out when he sees how it's actually done manually. He's got no appreciation for what Ubuntu is doing for him behind the scenes.

William Poaster
"Followed instructions to fix it from an Ubuntu group" Umm....but for someone who *claims* to have installed Linux in the 90s, you'd have thought that by now he wouldn't need instructions? He'd *know* what to do? Interesting too, that like most windoze users, he seems to be blaming Ubuntu for the problem, & *not* the nVIDIA proprietary drivers? (And YES, nVIDIA have screwed up their drivers sometimes. I used to revert to a previous release.)

Marek Novotny
Pretty common actually. Who in here has never had to roll it back?

IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRIVER ITSELF. The driver itself worked fine. The issue was that after the driver was installed, any attempt to upgrade the system would result in the system claiming that two files were not symbolic links. That's it. It was, at best, a nuisance but enough of one to warrant people going onto web forums with a desire to fix it. Like I said, even more experienced users than myself couldn't come up with a solution so clearly, "rolling it back" was not the best way to go about it.

Seriously, I make an effort to detail my posts and explain everything. It's just sad that few of you bother to read it properly and instead insist on playing with the Prescott Cockroach. Hell, you read HIS posts attentively; why not mine?

-- Doomsdrzej EFF & OpenMedia member Gab: @doomsdrzej