Re: post processing

David Taylor
SubjectRe: post processing
FromDavid Taylor
Date03/17/2014 10:55 (03/17/2014 09:55)
Message-ID<lg6gq1$luo$1@dont-email.me>
FollowsYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
FollowupsYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle (1h & 1m)

On 17/03/2014 08:33, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Le 16/03/14 15:36, David Taylor a écrit :

David Taylor
Yes, on some cameras I have the default exposure at -1/3 stop. I rarely find white-balance to be an issue, but I'm not often taking stage pictures (and I can appreciate the need for extra margin due to the greater dynamic range). I did take this one in Argentina:

http://www.satsignal.eu/Hols/2009/Antarctica/2009-01-22-0051-21-size.jpg

but there were so many lighting effects that I wouldn't want to say whether the WB is "right" or not.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
I think it is "right". It has the colors of the show. But when the light is very dim, the dimmed stage spots give a reddish color that is not due to gels. The most terrible light effect I had was with a oriental music show with lot of changing colored lights, and overabundance of "black light". The "black light" totally confused the sensor and the results were yuk...

As that was ISO 1600 on a Nikon D60,

David Taylor
there was some post-processing (such as noise reduction in PaintShop Pro 10). 1/30s, f/6.3 Nikon 18-200 mm at 200 mm.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
When I can be at 2000 iso, I consider that "plenty light" and I am very happy with it. http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/147/f/a/dsc3909_by_missumlaut-d66s3ts.jpg (not post-prod beside reduction and a slight ajustement of color balance) There, it was "plenty light",not to much light contrast,enough color contrast, and 2000 iso are good enough to allow every margin I need. Piece of cake ! That is not usual. More often, I use 3200 or 4000 iso...Even with a D700, that is not much, specially when most of the stage is dark areas. I dont stop down a lot, use my 70-200 2,8 (no VR) at 3,5 or 2,8. My own stability with this heavy lens does not allow me to go much under 1/160 s : and usually, people on the stage move as well ! Depends of the show. I am almost always a bit too short of 3-4 IL to make confortable choices.

Noëlle Adam

Yes, I can appreciate that for what used to be called "artificial light" white balance can sometimes be rather incorrect, not to mention fluorescent light sources! I do sometimes need to correct that and can easily do so the the JPEG.

Oh, now, with the Nikon 5200, ISO 3200 is quite OK. The D60 which I used for that image is a rather old model, but what I had at the time. Movement of the actors or performers can be another issue, requiring careful timing. I was lucky to be able to hand-hold at 1/30s with 200 mm, but that's another advantage of having VR lenses. Interesting how we have ended up with different choices to meet our different photographic and operational needs.

-- Cheers, David Web: http://www.satsignal.eu