Re: post processing

Savageduck
SubjectRe: post processing
FromSavageduck
Date03/13/2014 11:11 (03/13/2014 03:11)
Message-ID<2014031303112780100-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsNige Danton

On 2014-03-13 09:31:34 +0000, Nige Danton <nige.danton@nospam.com>said:

Nige Danton
There have been some stunning before and after post processing photos posted here in recent times. I've got zero experience of post processing other than a bit of exposure adjustment and sharpening using Mac OSX (Lion) built-in software. The photos posted here have been remarkable and I'd like to learn how to do something similar.

So, where do I start? Presumably I'll need some software - whats the recommendation?

If it matters I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 and an 18-105 lens. I shoot in RAW and jpg.

Thanks for any help.

You are going to get all sorts of recommendations from all of us regulars in these photo news groups, and we all hold some strong opinions. There are some free options, some affordable ones, and some quite costly. Each of us have developed a workflow which suits us as individuals.

Since you are using a Mac, I guess you are using iPhoto, which is quite capable for basic snapshot adjustments. If you want to take a further step at a reasonable cost, I suggest looking at Pixelmator. That is a powerful full featured Mac photo editor which also has a fair number of good video tutorials. < http://www.pixelmator.com >

Many of us use Adobe software which has a large support and tutorial base. The most affordable is Adobe Photoshop Elements. < http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html >

As somebody who shoots RAW, my workflow is achieved with Adobe Lightroom 5, and Photoshop CC. I have become comfortable using that particular software, but ultimately it depends on what you want to invest in time and money. < http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshoplightroom > < http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features.html >

Take advantage of tutorials available online. There are also quite a number of free podcasts by some of the best who provide this training.

As I said you are going to hear all sorts of opinions, and I am just putting mine out there.

-- Regards,

Savageduck