Re: post processing

Sandman
SubjectRe: post processing
Message-ID<slrnli5rhq.hnp.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsSavageduck (1h & 58m) > Sandman

In article <2014031403525927177-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman
But, not the same actual file. You have .plugin files for PS and .lrplugin files for LR

That said, I can't say I actually know wheather PSE supports .plugin files out of the box either. I've actually never ever used PSE. I was just going on information I've read here.

Savageduck
With the OnOne Premium Edition, and NIK, PSE & PS use the same plugin.

So . just to be clear - OnOne will install the exact same ".plugin" file to both Photoshop CC and Lightroom?

As far as I can tell, Lightroom plugins are kept in the application bundle at Contents/Plugins:

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/25ury118yy3ro6x/Screenshot%202014-03-14%2012.43.15.png>

And they're all named ".lrplugin", and the Plugin manager won't allow me to import ".plugin" files. So could you please show me a screendump of your Lightroom folder where you have actual ".plugin" files, i.e. the same plugin files you have in Photoshop?

I copied my "Alien Skin Snap Art 4.plugin" file here, and it didn't show up in Lightroom, and my guess is that it's because it's a Photoshop plugin, not a Lightroom plugin.

That said, I have both DxO and Alien Skin Exposure installed as plugins in Lightroom, and they don't show up in this directory either. But I think that's because they're not actually plugins, but rather "presets" and are installed in ~/Library/Application Suppport/Adobe/Lightroom/External Editor Presets.

There I have a "Exposure 5.lrtemplate" and a "DxO Labs" folder. Chance is that this is how onOne also manages the support for Lightroom. And again, these are named ".lrtemplate" and aren't Photoshop CC plugins and/or "presets"

Needlesstosay, the Photoshop plugins for Exposure are located at /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-ins/Alien Skin/Exposure 5/Alien Skin Exposure 5 Photoshop.8bf.plugin

So in Photoshop, this is a plugin file. Granted, both version launch the external Exposure 5 app, but it clearly shows the differences in how it is handled in the two applications.

They are all simple enough to access once installed. They are just a right click, or panel, or drop down menu away. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_616.jpg >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_617.jpg >

Sandman
Yeah, but that says nothing about whether it's the *same* plugin, or two different versions of the plugin - one for PS and one for LR.

Savageduck
I just went digging and the OnOne installer has one of each plugin. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_618.jpg >

Just as I suspected then. This clearly signals that Lightrom does *not* support Photoshop plugins.

NIK does things slightly differently. In PS & PSE it installs a PS plugin. For Lightroom it uses the separate stand alone apps for each module to be used as an external editor.

Probably via a preset.

So unlike OnOne, NIK has not developed an LR specific plugin.

Indeed.

Sandman
I can find no information online that suggest that LR can run any PS plugin what so ever. The plugin manager won't accept PS plugin files and this old thread (2008):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/29841849

"No they aren't compatible. Lightroom uses a different technology for plug-ins."

And Adobe has a different Exchange site for Lightroom.

All of this suggests that no - Lightroom can't run PS plugins.

Savageduck
We live and learn.

Indeed! Research is good for the soul :)

-- Sandman[.net]

Savageduck (1h & 58m) > Sandman