Re: post processing

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: post processing
FromTony Cooper
Date03/14/2014 15:13 (03/14/2014 10:13)
Message-ID<ei26i9hj06qfd88gk4qk9f42poeps39l61@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 22:54:09 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
I would agree with it, too. The statement, however, doesn't imply that PS will no longer be needed by all.

Savageduck
Not at all. However, I can do much of what I would do in ACR and PS, in LR5, and that includes spot healing, fixing CA, applying lens & camera profiles, making good use of the "Upright" filter, applying basic adjustments (including setting black & white points), applying gradients when needed, selective use of the adjustment brush, variable aspect ratio cropping, adjusting tone curve, color correction, B&W conversion, and more. Then there are the vast numbers of presets, included and freely available from many sources, and last but not least the aforementioned third party plugins.

Tony Cooper
It's also getting to thepoint where for which the full version of Photoshop is not needed because so much can be done in Elements.

Savageduck
Not exactly, in my case the full version is preferred over PSE, when I go to CS6 or CC from LR I want access to the full tool box without the limitations of PSE.

I also prefer the full version, but it can't be denied that Elements is catching up with the full PS with every version released. Adobe will never allow Elements to fully catch up, but Elements now has what nospam would call a "lot" of features.

Tony Cooper
Frankly, I am somewhat puzzled about why people like nospam, and even you, try so hard to convince everyone that Lightroom is the panacea of photo editing.

Savageduck
Getting a bit hyperbolic with the use of "panacea" aren't we? It is certainly not something I have implied.

I think you have. A panacea is a solution for all problems or difficulties, and statements that everything can be done in LR that needs to be done suggests LR is a panacea even if "almost" is used.

I push LR

Well, see, there's the problem.

I like to see such things used to their potential to meet the individual photographer's post processing needs with a smooth and logical workflow.

That can be an attempt to be controlling.

Tony Cooper
We are doing what we feel comfortable in doing, whether it's continuing to use a CS version or Gimp, and most of us are turning out some pretty decent stuff in doing so. Any failings in output are more failings in input from when we push the shutter button.

Nospam's positions about effort and productivity are patently bullshit. The issue isn't about a production shop where there are deadlines and cost issues. It's about individuals pursuing a hobby.

Savageduck
Agreed, from what I see here we are for the most part hobbyist photographers and costs are an important factor in selecting any hardware or software.

Tony Cooper
It seems to be something related to some deep-seated need to be right and a need to feel like the bell sheep. Part of the push-back you get is because some of us really don't like being told what do.

Savageduck
Let's just say, I suggest heavily.

It reminds me of a reformed drunk who has found Jesus trying to push Jesus on all.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL