Re: post processing

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
SubjectRe: post processing
FromYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Date03/17/2014 11:57 (03/17/2014 11:57)
Message-ID<lg6ke0$eqo$1@speranza.aioe.org>
FollowsDavid Taylor

Le 17/03/14 10:55, David Taylor a écrit :

David Taylor
Oh, now, with the Nikon 5200, ISO 3200 is quite OK.

Noise is not a big issue, if you can do good filtering. Dynamics is. What is totally absurd is the fact that the tests images for high iso usually display evenly lighted scenes, shoot with high speeds. Well, for me I need high iso mostly it's because its dark around. With very bright spots most often than not.

The D60 which I

used for that image is a rather old model, but what I had at the time. Movement of the actors or performers can be another issue, requiring careful timing. I was lucky to be able to hand-hold at 1/30s with 200 mm, but that's another advantage of having VR lenses. Interesting how we have ended up with different choices to meet our different photographic and operational needs.

My choise is most an economical choice. No money for a 80-200VR 2,8 and I use more the wide aperture (helps focus in darkness, as well) than slow speeds.

Yesterday show was again something in very dim light, all reddish. I had two cameras this time, my usual D700 with 70-200 2,8 and a D7000 with a 16-85 VR. With the VR I never had enough light to get normal speeds, but I used it to get movements. I hope it will look nice ; sometimes the camera was not even able to autofocus on the dancer. The D7000 have a "quiet" mode. Not much quieter tant the normal mode, but at last, a lot quieter than my D700. On the whole, I like VR to get movements on dancers like that https://www.dropbox.com/s/vihoj41megf626e/_DSC7314.jpg (old shot) but I think it does not compensate for a fast lense. Last year I buyed the nikon 24-85 VR (FF) and was not very happy with it. The quality and color contrast does not matched my other lenses. It has huge distortion as well. Dont know if the lense was just a bad item or what. Overall is was so much less than the 16-85VR (aps-c) that I sold it shortly after instead of selling the 16-85VR. And decided to get an aps-c as second camera instead. More versatility.

Now that the D7100 is there, the D7000 is the best bargain on second hand market.

Noëlle Adam