Re: post processing

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: post processing
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date03/17/2014 10:47 (03/17/2014 01:47)
Message-ID<87wqftgnr0.fld@apaflo.com>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsDavid Taylor (10m) > Floyd L. Davidson

Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 06:55:53 +0000, David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>wrote:

David Taylor
On 16/03/2014 19:50, Eric Stevens wrote: []

Eric Stevens
A more accurate interpretation might be that they use RAW images because of the scene's wide dynamic range.

I will use JPG for snapshots but not for images where I might want to print them to a reasonable size. In that case I prefer my own image massaging to whatever might be done by the camera.

David Taylor
It's both - you can plan on using RAW if you know that the scene /needs/ it, but the impression I get from reports here is that often it is the saviour of inappropriate exposure.

As printing needs here rarely exceed 30 cm (12 inches), and most images are for HD TV or Web display, my requirements are fortunately less stringent than yours. My Nikon and Sony cameras do a good job in-camera.

Eric Stevens
I'm exploring what I can do with A2 or thereabouts. :-)

A young lady who is 16 years old asked me to shoot a passport picture for her a couple weeks ago. She a neighbor that I've been photographing since she was 2 years old and I have literally a tens of thousands of pictures of her.

We shot the passport photo, and of course I also shot a dozen or so more than that, just because people pictures are what I do.

It turned out one of them has been printed at A1 size, both in a color version and in a BW version. I like the BW, but showed her mother an 8x10 in color too and she wanted a big one in color. Right now I'm willing to say that it is perhaps the most gorgeous photograph I've ever done of a young woman. It's a basic head shot, with a lot of emotional impact, of an extremely attractive young lady.

That's why I shoot everything, even simple 2"x2" passport shots, in RAW mode. I think it is obvious that an image that good deserves a lot better processing than is even remotely possible if one starts with a JPEG out of the camera.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com