Re: post processing

PeterN
SubjectRe: post processing
FromPeterN
Date03/16/2014 22:19 (03/16/2014 17:19)
Message-ID<lg54eh02ahb@news3.newsguy.com>
FollowsYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

On 3/16/2014 3:41 AM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Le 15/03/14 02:55, PeterN a écrit :

I own CS3 and will probably not go further. Sadly, it cannot serve as host for the new nik software. Start at CS4.

Noëlle Adam

PeterN
IIRC CS3 has LAB mode which makes color adjustments easy compared to RGB mode. this is a well written book. The author covers the how to at the start of each chapter, and has a section in each chapter of the why. Once you understand the basics of LAB, you may find it a good substitute for a lot of plugins.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Not for nik-plug-ins ; the one I use the most is Dfine, that is the best noise remover among all that I have tried, and it is usable with U-points. The second most interesting nik-plug in is the two pass sharpening, also usable with u-points.

For other Nik-plug-ins you can have almost the same results with PS, but a lot more effort and time investment. They are more "high level" tools than low level tools like in PS.

I would prefer to have Nik hosted by Photoshop than by Aperture (my actual host for those) because at last for dfine, I would like to be able to porcess batches. And when I am happy with a bunch of files, or when I give it away to someone who is likely to post it on facebook, I add my signature with a script. PS CS (4 and upper) are the only host Nik compatible that allow scripting and batch treatement. I dont use Lighroom (that would be redundant) but so far, I have layers only in Photoshop CS. I use layers a lot when I use CS : ajustement layers but also different modified layers for history, groups for variants and texts, I dont know if others use combinations of layers like I do ( to be able to show variants in one single file) but, for sure I do.

Noëlle Adam

\the Nik plugins, will not work in LAB mode. What I suggested is that a lof of the work that in done with plugins, can be done in LAB, although it is a lot more work. You can do noise removal in LAB or RGB using surface blur a gentle hand, and masking. However, you have more control in LAB. Sharpening on the luminescence layer allows more aggressive sharpening, with more realistic results. etc.

-- PeterN