Re: post processing

PeterN
SubjectRe: post processing
FromPeterN
Date03/13/2014 11:35 (03/13/2014 06:35)
Message-ID<lfs1hn02b29@news6.newsguy.com>
FollowsNige Danton

On 3/13/2014 5:31 AM, Nige Danton wrote:

Nige Danton
There have been some stunning before and after post processing photos posted here in recent times. I've got zero experience of post processing other than a bit of exposure adjustment and sharpening using Mac OSX (Lion) built-in software. The photos posted here have been remarkable and I'd like to learn how to do something similar.

So, where do I start? Presumably I'll need some software - whats the recommendation?

If it matters I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 and an 18-105 lens. I shoot in RAW and jpg.

Thanks for any help.

The question you asked could easily start a war here. Try to ignore the flames. It is also difficult to recommend a specific program since we don't know what you are looking to do photographically. It could be anything from simple shots to remind you of what you saw, to complex works of art, and/or anything in between. Most commercial programs will do decent image processing. Try starting with a basic program such as Adobe Elements, or Corel Paint Shop Pro, both under $100. Adobe LIghtroom is a bit more advanced, and Photoshop even more complex. So much so, that unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time just learning, it is easy to become frustrated. Having said that, I personally use Adobe Photoshop, CC. I had started with Corel PSP and quickly found it did not meet my needs. I took some web courses, went to lots of lectures, and hands on workshops, and am basically proficient. Before converting to digital, I had a small wet process darkroom. I say all this just to let you know where I am coming from. You might want to take advantage of some of the free trials available, just do a basic tutorial, and see which one you are most comfortable with. If you go the PS route, you will find Scott Kelby's books quite helpful. The writing style is a bit wordy, but easy to follow: I have tried some of the free programs, and think that they are too frustrating to use. Other people like them.

HTH -- PeterN