Re: post processing

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
SubjectRe: post processing
FromYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Date03/13/2014 12:26 (03/13/2014 12:26)
Message-ID<lfs4m0$ka0$1@speranza.aioe.org>
FollowupsSandman (2h & 23m) > YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
nospam (3h & 27m)
Rikishi42 (13h & 51m) > YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

Le 13/03/14 10:49, Sandman a écrit :

Nige Danton
So, where do I start? Presumably I'll need some software - whats the recommendation?

Sandman
I always recommend Photoshop.

Photoshop CS is very expensive ; plus, the learning curve is step. Photoshop elements lacks some essential features (layers, what can you do in PS without layers and scripts ? ). So if you want to give your money to Adobe, get Lighroom instead. As powerfull as PS CS is the Gimp ; the learning curve is step or worse. But at last, it is free. (And there is no such thing as free software : ridden with evangelists, or full of holes, or digging into your information...See below) You can do some ajustements with Picasa (no local ajustements) that is free, newbie oriented and belongs to Google and scan your HD when installing. I just hate that so I never went past this step of installation...

Nige Danton
If it matters I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 and an 18-105 lens. I shoot in RAW and jpg.

Raw developpement for Nikon is at its best with Capture NX 2 (because Nikon raws are non-standard) ; beware that they are about to remove essentials features in it, downgrading it so to speak.

I do 90% of my postprocessing in CaptureNX, the rest is between AdobeCS3 (I dont want to buy or rent a new version for the little use I have) and I use Aperture -that has also postprocessing capabilities- just as host to the Nik collection plug-ins.

(BTW I have now the free upgrade of Nik offered to former customers. Too bad it does not plug into my CS3, or have scripting capabilities of it's own. I dont see anything better in the upgrade, beside a new plug-in "analog" and the strange fact that for the Nik color efex pro, the defaut settings of the presets are caricatures, not usable as such. I was barely able to recongnise them !)

My advice is as usual ; download and install free trials and see what fits you. Then come back and ask for more details.

Noëlle Adam