Re: post processing

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
SubjectRe: post processing
FromYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Date03/17/2014 09:56 (03/17/2014 09:56)
Message-ID<lg6dc8$rdd$1@speranza.aioe.org>
FollowsDavid Taylor

Le 17/03/14 07:55, David Taylor a écrit :

David Taylor
On 16/03/2014 19:50, Eric Stevens wrote: []

Eric Stevens
A more accurate interpretation might be that they use RAW images because of the scene's wide dynamic range.

I will use JPG for snapshots but not for images where I might want to print them to a reasonable size. In that case I prefer my own image massaging to whatever might be done by the camera.

David Taylor
It's both - you can plan on using RAW if you know that the scene /needs/ it, but the impression I get from reports here is that often it is the saviour of inappropriate exposure.

It CAN be the saviour of inapropriate exposure, but that is usually not the main reason or the reason at all. I have not the same impression from here than you get. And has I stated, it is quite rare nowadays to get bad exposure from recent cameras, even in full auto mode, even from cheap ones.

I am not discussing your choices, they are yours and perfect for you. Raw shooting is about getting more choices in post-processing.

The process is no more or no less with raw or jpg : the defaut process can be used in camera or outside of it, just the same way. If you plan to go beyond defaut process, the raw will be still there.

Noëlle Adam