Re: post processing

nospam
SubjectRe: post processing
Fromnospam
Date03/13/2014 15:54 (03/13/2014 10:54)
Message-ID<130320141054101255%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsYouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

In article <lfs4m0$ka0$1@speranza.aioe.org>, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle <FautLaDemander@simple.org>wrote:

Nige Danton
So, where do I start? Presumably I'll need some software - whats the recommendation?

Sandman
I always recommend Photoshop.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Photoshop CS is very expensive ; plus, the learning curve is step.

he doesn't need cs.

elements is more than adequate, especially for someone just getting started.

if it turns out that he needs more, he can get cs/cc later on.

there is a wealth of tutorials, online videos, books and more for photoshop (which means both versions) to get started. there is also a huge choice of plugins available for all kinds of special effects.

Photoshop elements lacks some essential features (layers, what can you do in PS without layers and scripts ? ).

elements has layers.

So if you want to give your money to Adobe, get Lighroom instead.

excellent recommendation, but depending on what kind of post processing he wants to do, that might not be the best choice. lightroom does most of the common stuff, just not everything. it's also non-destructive which is a *huge* plus.

As powerfull as PS CS is the Gimp ; the learning curve is step or worse. But at last, it is free.

the gimp isn't anywhere close to photoshop cs. it isn't even a match for elements.

it's still around ten years behind photoshop and even lacks some stuff that photoshop 3 had (not cs3, but version 3) back in the mid-90s, some *twenty* years ago. the gimp requires a lot more work to do many tasks plus it's not optimized and runs substantially slower than modern apps do on the same hardware.

it's not even worth free, it's that bad.

(And there is no such thing as free software : ridden with evangelists, or full of holes, or digging into your information...See below)

there is a lot of free software, but in many cases, you are the product, as you mention.

You can do some ajustements with Picasa (no local ajustements) that is free, newbie oriented and belongs to Google and scan your HD when installing. I just hate that so I never went past this step of installation...

picasa isn't much better than what he has now on his mac.