Re: post processing

PeterN
SubjectRe: post processing
FromPeterN
Date03/16/2014 22:25 (03/16/2014 17:25)
Message-ID<lg54oh02anh@news3.newsguy.com>
FollowsEric Stevens

On 3/16/2014 3:50 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:10:23 +0000, David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>wrote:

David Taylor
On 16/03/2014 11:13, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Le 15/03/14 22:30, PeterN a écrit :

PeterN
Somehow, I may have missed a word, when replying to, I think is was DavidTaylor, who stated that he never shoots RAW.

YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
Sorry for my mistake. My point was anyway that raw is not about "getting the exposure right", but allowing post processing in good conditions.

Noëlle Adam

David Taylor
Yes, it was I. For the great majority of photos I take, and the results I want, RAW offers me nothing more than an extra delay in processing. I accept that there are times when the extra dynamic range would help but, coming more from a digital and video background, to me white clipping is quite normal.

I can and do use post-processing on some images, and JPEG is quite adequate for my usage. A lot of talk here seems to be from people who use RAW images in case their exposure is incorrect.

Eric Stevens
A more accurate interpretation might be that they use RAW images because of the scene's wide dynamic range.

I will use JPG for snapshots but not for images where I might want to print them to a reasonable size. In that case I prefer my own image massaging to whatever might be done by the camera.

If David is satisfied with his images and workflow, that is great. unlike others here, I will nly state my reasons why i do things a certain way. If my way doesn't work for them, so be it.

-- PeterN