Re: post processing

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: post processing
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date03/18/2014 18:44 (03/18/2014 09:44)
Message-ID<87mwgnfllr.fld@apaflo.com>
FollowsNab

Nab <nab@no-spam.com>wrote:

Nab
That's perfectly understandable, but I don't get how you sell your art if your potential costumers have nothing more for making a purchase decision than the price and print size.

I don't sell blank sheets of framed paper!

Photography customers make purchasing decisions for many reasons, and while size and price are factors I'm pretty sure they are rarely of primary importance.

My original point was that computer viewed images, 8x10 prints, and 24x36 prints are all very distinct objects. Many images that are terrific as one size are mundane at a different size. Average head shots generally make nice 8x10's, but only a really good head shot is great at 24x36. I.e., a life size head is fine, but a head 4 times normal size is too overwhelming unless it is special.

I guess in this case, you only had one real customer -- the neighbor next door?

People rarely buy expensive portraits of non-family.

However, Street Photography is an example where a single person may be central to the image, but the subject is not the person and the photograph is not a portrait. It makes no difference who the person in the picture is.

To be of more general interest a photograph usually has to specifically be of something other than the *character* *of* *the* *person* shown. Portraits of famous people have wide appeal, but non-famous people do not attract attention.

This image was an unposed, non-studio, "head shot", and is not Street. Hence it would necessarily be of general interest only to the degree that the person depicted is of general interest. It is an exceptionally nice image of a very pleasant looking young girl (which is to say something that does generally draw some attention, but perhaps not a great deal).

As mentioned before, this particular image was printed both in color and black and white. The color print was requested by the family (provided at no cost), and is in their home. The BW print is commercial art used as wall decoration in a public location. Probably more than half the local population will see it over the next many months, most of them will recognize the subject though even viewers who don't will find that particular image a bit astounding because the girl is beautiful and the image is intriguing.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com