Re: post processing

Savageduck
SubjectRe: post processing
FromSavageduck
Date03/18/2014 02:24 (03/17/2014 18:24)
Message-ID<2014031718240821671-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsEric Stevens (2h) > Savageduck

On 2014-03-18 01:02:10 +0000, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>said:

PeterN
On 3/17/2014 8:37 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:04:11 -0800, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>wrote:

PeterN
On 3/17/2014 6:26 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>wrote:

David Taylor
On 17/03/2014 09:47, Floyd L. Davidson wrote: []

Floyd L. Davidson
That's why I shoot everything, even simple 2"x2" passport shots, in RAW mode. I think it is obvious that an image that good deserves a lot better processing than is even remotely possible if one starts with a JPEG out of the camera.

David Taylor
An interesting story, Floyd! You are lucky to have a good model.

Nevertheless, if the image content is of sufficient interest, even one taken on a phone may be good enough....

Floyd L. Davidson
But this isn't something where "sufficient" is good enough. I do see it as one of the best photographs I've ever produced.

What came out of the camera just had potential, and only because I had the RAW data from a Nikon D800. To realize the potential required significant post processing to make it more than good enough, and instead extend towards the best it could be. What it was out of the camera is only potential, and the "real thing" is on paper at 24"x36".

The BW version is currently on public display. I can't imagine displaying a print that large taken on a cell phone...

PeterN
Can we talk you into sharing it?

Floyd L. Davidson
Sure. Email me your address and send $325 via PayPal; I'll send you a canvas print.

Otherwise, there simply is no way to share the effect of a 24"x36" print.

Eric Stevens
Quite right. This is something that many people fail to appreciate. So many prints which look great on a screen fail utterly as a large print. Vice versa also.

Floyd L. Davidson
Just mention Andreas Gursky's huge print known as Rhine II, and pseudo photography critics come out of the woodwork on the Internet to call it a POS. They've never seen the $4 million print, just a useless 1024x768 copy of it.

PeterN
Similarly, I have never seen a photo of the Baptistry doors, that even comes close to evoking the emotion I feel when viewing the originals. I just stood there, immobilized for some period of time.

But, as to my request, I well understand your answer. I have felt the same way myself, with some of my images.

...and there are times that art can be quite astonishing and only truly appreciated when seeing it up close and full scale. Here I am thinking of "The Night Watch" at the Rijks Museum which is just spectacular, and some of Pollock's work which is far more worthy of praise than the ignorant criticism he often has heaped on his work. < https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-C-5 > < http://artdiscovery.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_1847-001.jpg > < http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss_050426_nyc/ss_050426_nyc_moma.grid-10x2.jpg

In both cases the massive scale and consistent quality of the work is what makes them the masterpieces they are.

-- Regards,

Savageduck