Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date09/01/2014 20:33 (09/01/2014 13:33)
Message-ID<c6jsfnF6rniU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowupsNashton (6h & 45m)
Sandman (12h & 7m) > Lloyd Parsons

On 1 Sep 2014 14:38:11 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <c6j8r9F1d30U1@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
You're free to do that, I'm free to ignore it if I so choose... :)

Sandman
Of course, credibility may be of no concern to you :)

Lloyd Parsons
In this group, right up until I started this thread, my credibility has been fine.

Wonder what changed? :)

Sandman
Presumably it's because you've made a claim you cannot satisfyingly substantiate.

It seems you're implying that it has something to do with your choice of platform, but I think you're smarter than that (?). We're talking about claims that are being questioned, correct? The claims in question are platform-agnostic and could have been equally questioned regardless of what platform they pertained to.

And I'm also pretty sure you're aware of the fact that I've owned and used Windows and PC software/hardware for decades, plus I have been outspokenly negative against Apple on a lot more occasions than towards Windows/Microsoft.

So, instead of trying to pretend that you're being questioned due to being a "Windows user", realize that you're being questioned due to having made a questionable claim.

OK, I'll take you at your word. But this is fun, so I"ll continue on a bit...

Lloyd Parsons
You've locked in on the fonts, it isn't just the fonts it is the sum of the changes.

Sandman
I'm "locked in" to your claims, still quoted above. taste differ, and I've yet to hear of anyone that would choose a Windows phone purely based on the appearance of the UI.

Lloyd Parsons
Probably lots of other things you've yet to hear.

Sandman
I just assumed that a person posting about the switch to a different platform in an advocacy group would naturally list the most pertinent reasons for doing so in the initial post, instead of just shallow irrelevant ones.

Shallow and irrelevant ones to you, of course.

My tech needs are much more simple than when I worked and that gives me huge flexibility in what platform I might choose. Look and feel have more weight these days for the very reason that both Windows and OSX will run the only software that is in any way related to any kind of work.

All the rest is covered with either the same software or some different ones, all cheap or free and close enough in operation to each other that switching from one to the other is very trivial.

Lloyd Parsons
The look and feel of the smartphones is part and parcel of the decision as to which one you decide to get. It is why you have Android, iOS and Windows Phone among others. All of them do essentially the same thing in reality.

Sandman
I wholeheartedly disagree, of course. I don't use an iPhone because it looks "pretty". I couldn't care less. I use an iPhone because of the functions, of the application, of the connectivity it provides. I use an iPhone for a lot of reasons, and none have anything to do with how it looks.

I don't use a smartphone for much of anything at all. Phone calls, Golf GPS app and a weather app pretty much cover most things I'll do on a given day.

I might use the driving directions at some point too.

All well covered by pretty much every smart phone out there. The differences are all about the look and feel. Nothing else.

Well, there's battery life to consider, which is one of the reasons Android was never on the table.

I'm sure there *are* people that have "looks" pretty high on their list of choices for a given platform, but I didn't think they would be posting to an advocacy group on usenet.

So I focus on the accessability problems you're claiming to have.

Lloyd Parsons
And I said I did try your suggestion, in fact I tried it long ago when iOS7 came out and did not like the look any better. Yeah, a bit easier to read, but ugly.

Sandman
Again, that only confirms what I initially said. As far as accessability goes - your problem can be solved, but for whatever reason, the end result is not "pretty enough" for you.

Yep, you've got it. Doesn't look good enough to suit me.

Lloyd Parsons
Then Apple decided OSX needs to look nearly the same and that's when I started looking.

Sandman
It's just odd to see a grown man put so much value into such a shallow part of their computing needs.

Here's a screenshot of the difference:

<http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bold-fonts-easier-to-read-ios.jpeg>

Not sure what's "unpretty" about it. It's a font. It's Helevtica Neue and has been around for ages and few people call it "ugly". You're free to your opinion of course.

Lloyd Parsons
Thanks for that. My opinion, shared by many is that iOS 7 was not a look and feel improvement. And that carries over in discussions about Yosemite too.

Sandman
So basically, what you're saying is that you're old and have a hard time reading skinny text, *but that's not a problem* in iOS since it can show bold text, and large text, but you just don't think it's "pretty" enough for you to use as your mobile phone?

Lloyd Parsons
Yep, that's what I said.

Sandman
Just wanted to make it perfectly clear that for usability, iOS has you covered, but not as far as "prettiness" comes.

And your remedy for this is to get... a Windows phone?

I mean, I have nothing against the Metro UI, but I've yet to hear a single person call it "pretty".

Lloyd Parsons
So?

Sandman
So, what? "Pretty" seems to rank pretty high for you on your top ten list of wanted "features" of a mobile device, so I naturally assumed that you were of the opinion that the platform you switched to was pretty.

Lloyd Parsons
It looks better than iOS7 and works just as well.

Sandman
Well, that's another discussion for another time. :)

Maybe I just found it hard to believe that anyone would pick one phone overt the other based soley on whether or not the UI looks "pretty". I mean, apart from perhaps some 14 year old girls, that is.

We're at different points of our life I suppose. I'm well past the 'needs' part of mine. Now it is just wants, and that probably is the difference.

Lloyd Parsons
While it is possible that you find it hard to believe, most people make choices about things they use because of how they look as well as how they work.

Sandman
Yes, but as I said - the majority of people that have "pretty" hihg on their list leans towards the lower teens... and girls :)

But when all else that has value to me is equal, the difference is in how it all looks.

Lloyd Parsons
So here in this thread I get my credibility challenged suddenly because this isn't praising Apple.

Sandman
By whom? I challenged your credibility because you made claim you were unable to satisfyingly substantiate.

Lloyd Parsons
And my selection is challenged because my choice isn't Apple.

Sandman
Of course not. I rather like the Windows phone. I currently own two Windows phones.

-- Sandman[.net]

-- Lloyd