Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date08/29/2014 14:22 (08/29/2014 07:22)
Message-ID<c6b9kcFsn4dU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowsNashton

On 29 Aug 2014 07:55, Nashton wrote:

Nashton
On 2014-08-28 9:21 AM, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
On 28 Aug 2014 07:15, Nashton wrote:

Nashton
On 2014-08-27 8:56 PM, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
I've said I wasn't happy with the path Apple is taking with Yosemite, And I wasn't enamored of the look and feel of iOS7 for the same reasons. Skinny font, little contrast and shades of pastel. All make It difficult on my eyes.

Nashton
Not to mention the tiny, miniscule effing screen.

Lloyd Parsons
Which wasn't an issue for me, I have no problem with the screen size on the iPhones.

Nashton
Aww, Lloyd. A last valiant effort to demonstrate that once an Apple whore, always an Apple whore.

What was I thinking. A miniscule screen ought not be a significant problem for a 70 year-old with advanced presbyopia.

Well first, it isn't a 'miniscule' screen. 2nd is the use case. Almost all I do is phone calls, receive (but not send) texts and a golf gps app.

Lloyd Parsons
So today I went to Verizon and got a new HTC One (M8) Windows phone.

Nashton
Nice.

Lloyd Parsons
Wow, what a sweet phone!! Real colors and contrast, a 5" screen that Is a little bigger than I had planned on getting and it is FAST!! Faster with Windows than with Android which this phone also comes out With.

I had to buy a couple apps, but they were mostly cheap and I've got Everything I actually use covered.

BTW, Cortana is very nice. I've seen the ads about it but haven't Played around too much with it yet.

Next up is selling the MBPr... :(

Nashton
So, you're not photographer. If you're going to switch, the Lumia 1020, if you're interested in photography, would have been a much better choice. The thing is *amazing*.

Lloyd Parsons
The 1020 isn't a Verizon model I think. But you are correct, I'm not a photographer and actually won't take many pictures at all with this. I have tested it and it works and the pictures looked fine though.

Nashton
They looked fine to you.

And that's all that matters.

Lloyd Parsons
The one issue that had me going for awhile had to do with Office365. There is a setting tile to set up Office365. But it doesn't work for the Home Premium version. There is no documentation that says that, MS tech support couldn't tell me that and it finally took one user on WPCentral to tell me that and how to use Office on it. It is dead simple, but so easy to get in a never-ending-circle of irritation!! :)

Nashton
Yeah, that's why you switched! Oh and there is no such thing as a "home premium version" for windows phone. http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

Actually there is. MS' sites about Office365 can get you lost in a hurry. The apps are already there on most if not all, Windows phones these days and work fine with Office365 subscriptions just fine. And even the Office365 Home Premium account page tells you about it.

The issue wasn't that they don't work, it is that the Office365 'place' that is there on the phone has nothing to do with the Home version at all. But there is no documentation that says that, and based on a chat with MS tech support and asking in a couple forums, most people don't know that.

Hell, MS tech support said I needed to download the apps from the store. Problem is, they don't exist in the windows phone store at all.

-- Lloyd