Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date09/02/2014 14:41 (09/02/2014 07:41)
Message-ID<c6ls7bFml5oU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowsDavid Fritzinger

On 2 Sep 2014 08:27, David Fritzinger wrote:

David Fritzinger
In article <slrnm0ap0l.gf4.mr@irc.sandman.net>, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <dfritzin-081881.12272801092014@news.eternal-september.org>, David Fritzinger wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
Then Apple decided OSX needs to look nearly the same and that's when I started looking.

Sandman
It's just odd to see a grown man put so much value into such a shallow part of their computing needs.

David Fritzinger
It may be a "shallow part of his computing needs", but it is one he interacts with every time he uses his computer/phone/tablet. If Lloyd honestly dislikes the interface so much that it affects his user experience, then he is justified in switching, IMHO.

Sandman
It's the "honestly" part I'm questioning. Whether someone can "honestly" dislike the appearance (not function) of the iPhone UI so much that it is the sole reason for switching. I just find it extremely odd.

David Fritzinger
With some people, I would agree with you. However, Lloyd has always been straightforward in discussing his choices, so I will take him at his word.

Besides, there have been many times Mac advocates have criticized the look and feel of Windows, so saying that isn't a valid reason for Lloyd to switch seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Sandman
How so? I have criticized the Windows "look" many times, but I still use it, don't I? The appearance of the Windows UI is not why I am using a Mac, and I don't think any Mac users feel that way. I.e. I don't think anyone switched to Macs because Windows isn't "pretty" enough.

David Fritzinger
Perhaps you aren't the best example. However, there have been many discussions in the past where the Windows UI was criticized and described as a reason not to use Windows.

Myself? I agree with you, and have been a Mac and iOS user for years, and have been very happy with the hardware and software. I have had no reason to change in the past, and don't at the present time. But, that is me. YMMV.

And I have no problem with whatever platform someone else uses or prefers. Well, other than to tweak them a bit about it in a somewhat trollish manner. Usually I reserve that for COLA since the Linux types over there are so easy and fun to troll.

If nothing else, I learned in my switch from Windows many years ago to the Mac and now back again, is that overall the switch isn't all that daunting. It can get expensive though if you have lots of paid software you need to re-buy. In my case that just wasn't an issue.

Neither was the hardware costs. I was replacing the Acer i3 laptop that had seen better days. It would have cost me about $600 for a laptop that I would have chosen. But I chose to go to a desktop all-in-one that added a little over $400 to that ticket item. I'll recover that and more when I sell the MPBr if I end up doing it. Worse case I've overspent by $400 if I do that.

The start of all of it was when I got the SurfacePro. I hadn't expected to like it enough to use much, but actually ended up using it for almost everything tablet related. The size, even with the Power Cover attached, was more comfortable and useful on lap while sitting in the recliner than any other unit I had used and the screen was good enough that I found I didn't need my reading specs much with it.

-- Lloyd