Sandman
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
Message-ID<slrnm0dvp7.k0j.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsNashton
FollowupsLloyd Parsons (37m)
Lloyd Parsons (6h & 22m) > Sandman

In article <lu6s03$kgt$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nashton wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
You're just blathering. Try reading what I said for comprehension.

Nashton
I'm stating this from the perspective of having desktop apps and tablet apps on the same device. This is a huge advantage.

It's also a real mess.

Lloyd Parsons
One of the biggest irritants with Windows is that some apps in the 'modern UI' don't actually share data with desktop apps. Coming from Apple, that seems kind of idiotic.

Nashton
How can that be? There isn't a single device that integrate both the desktop and iOS version of Apple's apps. What are you talking about?

Lloyd Parsons
Apple apps that have both OSX and iOS versions damned well do share Data and have since the beginning.

Nashton
You mean like calendar and contacts?

Or any app. Data can be synced between iOS and OSX devices seemlessly.

Where everything gets duplicated when you sync?

Uh, no. Why would it? Are you talking about Windows now?

Not to mention the unintuitive way you need to employ to get everything working.

Yeah, enter your iCloud credentials. Done. Really unintutive. Duh.

Just use Google Calendar and Google contacts and sync with your MS device, it all works like a charm and is configurable via the email accounts settings (sync email, calendars, contacts, etc).

Wait, what? You need to use Google services to sync these things between Windows devices? Seriously? Doesn't MS have a cloud sync functionality? Why on earth are you using Google?

Furthermore, Apple doesn't support simultaneous syncing of its own calendar with Google.

What does this mean? You can have Google Calendar in both OSX and iOS without a problem

MS does. So when I'm offline, I can add an event/contact to my MS calendar and everything will sync nicely on my devices.

Uh, yeah? That's how it should work. Why is this so amazing to you?

Lloyd Parsons
For instance, Outlook the program does not share contacts with 'People' the modern UI version of contacts. And Skype is worse. Skype desktop doesn't share contacts with Skype modern UI. In the 'modern UI' you use 'people', pick a contact and then tell it to Skype. Seems asinine to do it that way.

Nashton
But you can do it if you have an exchange account. Don't forget this is a business/enterprise application.

Lloyd Parsons
Outlook is, Skype isn't.

But regardless, data like calendar, people and so forth should be all The same across the various windows platforms at least at the same Software/os levels.

Nashton
Except that Apple's way sucks and MS's doesn't.

Apple uses a unified contact platform, and MS doesn't, and every app need to reimplement it seperately, which is "better". Gotcha.

-- Sandman[.net]