Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date09/03/2014 17:31 (09/03/2014 10:31)
Message-ID<c6oqjhFg77lU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowupsSandman (6m) > Lloyd Parsons

On 3 Sep 2014 15:25:23 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <dfritzin-93678A.09533203092014@news.eternal-september.org>, David Fritzinger wrote:

Sure, you like lots of colors, that's fine. But that's not something "new" or something that Apple has changed. iOS and OSX has never been particularly colorful.

David Fritzinger
Err, look at early versions of OSX. They were quite colorful, and Apple has been toning down on the color ever since. [snip]

Sandman
Sure, let's look!

<>

Here's iOS 6 vs iOS 7, and as we know, iOS hasn't changed it's UI design since it's inception up until iOS6, so this is valid as a comparison betwen iOS from the start to iOS7, but it's easier to see with two retina screens.

As you can see, there is in no way more color in earlier versions of iOS. If anything, iOS7 is more colorful than iOS6 since it doesn't cover the colors with gloss and graidents.

Take the iTunes Store icon for instance, where the iOS 7 icon most certainly has a stronger color than the iOS 6 one, which has a flare and a glossy gradient covering the color.

As I said, iOS7 is less 3D, and some icons, such as Calendar, Reminders and Notes have less color, but other icons have more color, like Photos and Maps, or stronger color like I mentioned.

iOS6 has more *depth*, more "presence" if you like. It has a 3D style that many people liked (me included), shading, shadows, but not more color.

So, looking at this, it should be clear that iOS7 doesn't have less color than earlier versions. And looking at my earlier OSX screeen comparison, the same is true for OSX as well.

Starting to see how I think the original claim is a bit... wobbly? :)

No I'm not. But then I'm looking at iOS7 on a non-retina iPad which pretty much sucked from the get=go for being colorful. Lots of comments about that very thing in a whole lot of forums. Not so much now though as people either switched or just decided they could tolerate it.

I'm in the tolerate group. Though I'll be tolerating it on only one device going forward.

Then there's Yosemite. More of the same dull crap that iOS7 brought to the table. If you like that, stick with it. I don't, so I won't. You'll get to enjoy some things that don't matter to me that are coming, but that isn't of any concern to me.

-- Lloyd