Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date09/02/2014 21:59 (09/02/2014 14:59)
Message-ID<c6mlsrFtl4pU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowupsSandman (9h & 46m) > Lloyd Parsons

On 2 Sep 2014 19:39:56 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <c6lr2hFmbfcU1@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

I haven't commented on any of those claims, yet, but I am questioning that as well. Regardless of whether or not you realize that, prettiness is *NOT* the only difference between platforms. There are tons of things to consider:

Lloyd Parsons
I'm only going to respond this this list of yours and then make a general comment. Then I'm done with your inquisition!! :)

Sandman
I expected nothing more.

1. Battery time (you've mentioned this) 2. Weight 3. Screen size 4. Speaker volume 5. Cell reception 6. GPS reception (for those golfy days) 7. Price (esp. over time) 8. Maintenance/service availability 9. Durability 10. Ergonomics

Those are ten basic parameters that are important about any mobile device, and directly relates to your usage. I'm not saying that an iPhone beats any other phone on these points, far from it - I am challenging your claim that "prettiness" is the only thing important to you.

Lloyd Parsons
Virtually none of those are platform issues, but individual phone issues imo.

Sandman
Exactly my point.

Lloyd Parsons
All the platforms are good, bad or indifferent in each of those ten items depending on which phone.

Sandman
Exactly. And prettiness has nothing to do with it.

Lloyd Parsons
The overall decisions to make some changes came more from the desktop/laptop changes than from the phone itself.

Sandman
Which, if I've understood you correctly, means "OSX", not "Desktop/Laptop" since there has been no desktop/laptop changes recently that it could be about.

Lloyd Parsons
The original decision to make the change to Windows 8.x was because of the path Yosemite is taking in UI. On less than a retina class screen I find the UI to be not only ugly but hard to read.

Sandman
So, uh, on a Retina screen it's not, then? Odd that.

Lloyd Parsons
I can do something about the hard to read, but because Apple doesn't allow enough changes in the screen, imo, I can't do enough about the ugly.

Sandman
Just to put some images behind those words, here's some of the differences:

<>

And since we've established that it's not the "flatness" itself that you're having problems with (since Windows Phone is the definition of super flat), it's something else.

You've talked about "pastel colors"; but the color scheme is pretty much identical in that screenshot. Here's another:

<>

Again, less 3D, same exact colors.

Again, I'm not trying to change your mind here, I am trying to understand why Yosemite is ugly and Mavericks is pretty when the only difference I can make out is that Yosemite is more flat, which just can't be what you're in reference to, given the platform you're moving to.

So, as I've said - I'm obivously missing something about this "ugly" thing, and while I don't expect to agree with you, I would really like to understand your claims.

A couple things to note on the newest Windows Phones with WP8.1. 1. Transparent tiling, very nice as I said in a previous post. Gives A much better overall look and feel to the start screen and certainly Much more lively and colorful that the iPhone. Overall the iPhone 'start' screens are fairly mundane now in comparison to WP and Android.

2. Very eye-popping colors everywhere, not so anywhere on the iPhone.

Then on the computer, just Safari is enough to make your eyes strain. Tabs are barely separated and the shading between active and non-active tabs is almost nothing at all on a non-retina screen. Discernible on the Retina screens though.

Basically in most forums the gut feeling is that Yosemite has been more optimized for Retina screens over the others, yet only some of the laptops even have Retina screens. Of course once you're in an app, the app is controlling most of this. Which means that 3rd party Apps look and feel hasn't changed while most, if not all, of Apple's Will either at launch of Yosemite or soon thereafter.

The new default font may have been around for quite awhile, but after Seeing it in Yosemite, I can understand why I never saw it used Anywhere. To say it sucks would not even come close to how bad I perceive it.

Lastly, I have made the change for reasons that I perfectly understand. That you don't seem to is not of a concern to me and I Will not keep going in this somewhat drifted thread on this particular Part.

--

Lloyd from SurfacePro via NewsgroupsRT

Sandman (9h & 46m) > Lloyd Parsons