Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date09/01/2014 14:58 (09/01/2014 07:58)
Message-ID<c6j8r9F1d30U1@mid.individual.net>
FollowupsBobB (43m)
Sandman (1h & 40m) > Lloyd Parsons
David Fritzinger (3h & 20m) > Lloyd Parsons
Nashton (12h & 17m)

On 1 Sep 2014 06:51:59 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <c6ghj8F9kb1U1@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
I've said I wasn't happy with the path Apple is taking with Yosemite, And I wasn't enamored of the look and feel of iOS7 for the same reasons. Skinny font, little contrast and shades of pastel. All make It difficult on my eyes.

Sandman
Of course, but you specifically said the font was skinny and the contrast was low - both of which can be fixed in the settings. If you don't think the font is "pretty" enough, there is no setting for that. I have a legitimate fix for your specific complain, so you either have more untold complains or you have no tried the fix.

Lloyd Parsons
Did you miss where I said I had tried that already?

Sandman
Nope. I'm just questioning that claim of yours.

Lloyd Parsons
You're free to do that, I'm free to ignore it if I so choose... :)

Sandman
Of course, credibility may be of no concern to you :)

In this group, right up until I started this thread, my credibility has been fine.

Wonder what changed? :)

Lloyd Parsons
I fiddled with all that crap on the phone and iPad when iOS7 got installed on them. Bottom line was that it wasn't an 'improvement'. Yes easier to read, But uglier imo.

Sandman
So, the font was too skinny for you to read, you used a setting to make it easier to read which worked for you, but the end result wasn't "pretty" enough for you? Sounds... odd.

Lloyd Parsons
You've locked in on the fonts, it isn't just the fonts it is the sum of the changes.

Sandman
I'm "locked in" to your claims, still quoted above. taste differ, and I've yet to hear of anyone that would choose a Windows phone purely based on the appearance of the UI.

Probably lots of other things you've yet to hear.

The look and feel of the smartphones is part and parcel of the decision as to which one you decide to get. It is why you have Android, iOS and Windows Phone among others. All of them do essentially the same thing in reality.

So I focus on the accessability problems you're claiming to have.

And I said I did try your suggestion, in fact I tried it long ago when iOS7 came out and did not like the look any better. Yeah, a bit easier to read, but ugly.

Then Apple decided OSX needs to look nearly the same and that's when I started looking.

Here's a screenshot of the difference:

<http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bold-fonts-easier-to-read-ios.jpeg>

Not sure what's "unpretty" about it. It's a font. It's Helevtica Neue and has been around for ages and few people call it "ugly". You're free to your opinion of course.

Lloyd Parsons
Thanks for that. My opinion, shared by many is that iOS 7 was not a look and feel improvement. And that carries over in discussions about Yosemite too.

Sandman
So basically, what you're saying is that you're old and have a hard time reading skinny text, *but that's not a problem* in iOS since it can show bold text, and large text, but you just don't think it's "pretty" enough for you to use as your mobile phone?

Yep, that's what I said.

And your remedy for this is to get... a Windows phone?

I mean, I have nothing against the Metro UI, but I've yet to hear a single person call it "pretty".

So?

It looks better than iOS7 and works just as well.

Maybe I just found it hard to believe that anyone would pick one phone overt the other based soley on whether or not the UI looks "pretty". I mean, apart from perhaps some 14 year old girls, that is.

While it is possible that you find it hard to believe, most people make choices about things they use because of how they look as well as how they work.

So here in this thread I get my credibility challenged suddenly because this isn't praising Apple. And my selection is challenged because my choice isn't Apple.

But the reality is that I didn't change, Apple decided to. And in a direction I don't like. Since I can switch with no issues and no out of pocket expenses other than some trivial things, why stay with a product line that is going in the wrong direction? And the overall way you interact with the devices is close enough to equal that it isn't all that big a deal to change either.

Still got all my email and my web browser and my usenet client and my music engraving software. And all easier for me to read now without uglying up the screen.

-- Lloyd