Sandman
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
Message-ID<slrnm086ba.cq8.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsLloyd Parsons
Followups"Hartley" (5h & 59m)
Lloyd Parsons (6h & 6m) > Sandman

In article <c6ghj8F9kb1U1@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
I've said I wasn't happy with the path Apple is taking with Yosemite, And I wasn't enamored of the look and feel of iOS7 for the same reasons. Skinny font, little contrast and shades of pastel. All make It difficult on my eyes.

Sandman
Of course, but you specifically said the font was skinny and the contrast was low - both of which can be fixed in the settings. If you don't think the font is "pretty" enough, there is no setting for that. I have a legitimate fix for your specific complain, so you either have more untold complains or you have no tried the fix.

Lloyd Parsons
Did you miss where I said I had tried that already?

Sandman
Nope. I'm just questioning that claim of yours.

Lloyd Parsons
You're free to do that, I'm free to ignore it if I so choose... :)

Of course, credibility may be of no concern to you :)

I fiddled with all that crap on the phone and iPad when iOS7 got installed on them. Bottom line was that it wasn't an 'improvement'. Yes easier to read, But uglier imo.

Sandman
So, the font was too skinny for you to read, you used a setting to make it easier to read which worked for you, but the end result wasn't "pretty" enough for you? Sounds... odd.

Lloyd Parsons
You've locked in on the fonts, it isn't just the fonts it is the sum of the changes.

I'm "locked in" to your claims, still quoted above. taste differ, and I've yet to hear of anyone that would choose a Windows phone purely based on the appearance of the UI.

So I focus on the accessability problems you're claiming to have.

Sandman
Here's a screenshot of the difference:

<http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bold-fonts-easier-to-read-ios.jpeg>

Not sure what's "unpretty" about it. It's a font. It's Helevtica Neue and has been around for ages and few people call it "ugly". You're free to your opinion of course.

Lloyd Parsons
Thanks for that. My opinion, shared by many is that iOS 7 was not a look and feel improvement. And that carries over in discussions about Yosemite too.

So basically, what you're saying is that you're old and have a hard time reading skinny text, *but that's not a problem* in iOS since it can show bold text, and large text, but you just don't think it's "pretty" enough for you to use as your mobile phone?

And your remedy for this is to get... a Windows phone?

I mean, I have nothing against the Metro UI, but I've yet to hear a single person call it "pretty".

Maybe I just found it hard to believe that anyone would pick one phone overt the other based soley on whether or not the UI looks "pretty". I mean, apart from perhaps some 14 year old girls, that is.

-- Sandman[.net]

"Hartley" (5h & 59m)
Lloyd Parsons (6h & 6m) > Sandman