Re: Another step towards Wi...

David Fritzinger
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromDavid Fritzinger
Date09/02/2014 14:22 (09/02/2014 08:22)
Message-ID<dfritzin-308825.08223202092014@news.eternal-september.org>
FollowupsSandman (7h & 24m) > David Fritzinger

In article <slrnm0aqbm.gf4.mr@irc.sandman.net>, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <dfritzin-2B875D.12183401092014@news.eternal-september.org>, David Fritzinger wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
While it is possible that you find it hard to believe, most people make choices about things they use because of how they look as well as how they work.

So here in this thread I get my credibility challenged suddenly because this isn't praising Apple. And my selection is challenged because my choice isn't Apple.

But the reality is that I didn't change, Apple decided to. And in a direction I don't like. Since I can switch with no issues and no out of pocket expenses other than some trivial things, why stay with a product line that is going in the wrong direction? And the overall way you interact with the devices is close enough to equal that it isn't all that big a deal to change either.

Still got all my email and my web browser and my usenet client and my music engraving software. And all easier for me to read now without uglying up the screen.

David Fritzinger
Hey look, everyone. Lloyd decided to change. It is something he thought about for a while, and he made an informed decision.

Sandman
How do you know? That it was informed, I mean. There are plenty of valid and informed reasons to switch to something that isn't an iPhone, but as far as I can make out, the "informed decision" he made was "Eh, this isn't pretty enough for me, what is?" and ended up with a Windows phone.

Simple. He found something about the iOS and Mac UI that he found very unpleasant for him. He looked at other platforms, and they were no as unpleasant to use. That is his decision, and really, it affects no one but him. Let's say, I personally disagree with his decision, but he had every right to make it. And, considering that Lloyd has been posting here for years, and has never been a troll, IMHO, we should let him do what he feels is right for him.

David Fritzinger
You may not agree with his decision, but he made it nevertheless.

Sandman
I'm not disagreeing with anything.

David Fritzinger
AFAIAC, we should leave him alone and let him live with, and hopefully enjoy his decision. He isn't like Nashton, who now comes back to insult everyone here and say everything he has is better than anything any of us own.

Sandman
Neither is he being insulted by anyone here. Not sure why you're making such a big deal out of it.

Simply because his decision is made, and continuing to argue with him about it is like flogging a dead horse.

If I were to post here and say I switched to Windows because I thought my Mac Pro smelled odd, I'm sure you would question the motives behind my decision as well, or rather - you SHOULD. :)

I.e. you have no problem with me switching to Windows, you couldn't care less about that, but you WOULD challenge my motives behind that switch.

I would certainly think you were mistaken, and might mention it once or twice. But, once your mind was made up, and you had actually bought the Windows computer/phone, I would say the same as I did to Lloyd. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the path you have taken wrt computer and phone OSs.

David Fritzinger
He is doing this gracefully, and he has the right not to be insulted because some disagree with his decision.

Sandman
Who has insulted him?

By continually challenging his motives, you are. The fact is that the most frequent task one does with a computer or device (namely interacting with it) was made unpleasant for him by Apple's UI choices. So he decided to change the OS he used. That is a personal choice. Now, if he were to start posting here saying that everything Apple is s**t, like some idiots we know, then he would be fair game, IMO.