Re: Another step towards Wi...

Alan Baker
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromAlan Baker
Date09/04/2014 04:25 (09/03/2014 19:25)
Message-ID<lu8iil$svg$1@news.datemas.de>
FollowsNashton

On 2014-09-04 02:12:41 +0000, Nashton said:

Nashton
On 2014-09-03 9:14 AM, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
On 3 Sep 2014 11:36:39 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <lu6s03$kgt$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nashton wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
You're just blathering. Try reading what I said for comprehension.

Nashton
I'm stating this from the perspective of having desktop apps and tablet apps on the same device. This is a huge advantage.

Sandman
It's also a real mess.

Lloyd Parsons
One of the biggest irritants with Windows is that some apps in the 'modern UI' don't actually share data with desktop apps. Coming from Apple, that seems kind of idiotic.

Nashton
How can that be? There isn't a single device that integrate both the desktop and iOS version of Apple's apps. What are you talking about?

Lloyd Parsons
Apple apps that have both OSX and iOS versions damned well do share Data and have since the beginning.

Nashton
You mean like calendar and contacts?

Sandman
Or any app. Data can be synced between iOS and OSX devices seemlessly.

Lloyd Parsons
Yep, that's what I was talking about too.

Nashton
Where everything gets duplicated when you sync?

Sandman
Uh, no. Why would it? Are you talking about Windows now?

Nashton
Not to mention the unintuitive way you need to employ to get everything working.

Sandman
Yeah, enter your iCloud credentials. Done. Really unintutive. Duh.

Lloyd Parsons
Same in Windows, just for some apps, but not others. That's the 'hole' in the Windows ecosystem.

Nashton
Just use Google Calendar and Google contacts and sync with your MS device, it all works like a charm and is configurable via the email accounts settings (sync email, calendars, contacts, etc).

Sandman
Wait, what? You need to use Google services to sync these things between Windows devices? Seriously? Doesn't MS have a cloud sync functionality? Why on earth are you using Google?

Lloyd Parsons
I don't do Google any more than I have to.

Nashton
Furthermore, Apple doesn't support simultaneous syncing of its own calendar with Google.

Sandman
What does this mean? You can have Google Calendar in both OSX and iOS without a problem

Nashton
Hahahahaha!

Easy as pie:

http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/techniques-to-share-apple-and-google-calendars--cms-20057

Stupid Apple ho.

"The Google calendar will appear in Calendar.app under the iCloud calendar list, but it will not be editable as it would if I added my Google account to my internet accounts in System Preferences. The calendar will also appear in iOS Calendar, but again, it is not editable. The Google calendar will not appear at all when accessing iCloud via a web browser."

Wow. You've discovered there's a difference between subscribing to a calendar and having access to the calendar account.