Re: Another step towards Wi...

Lloyd Parsons
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
FromLloyd Parsons
Date08/29/2014 23:32 (08/29/2014 16:32)
Message-ID<c6c9qsF6pquU1@mid.individual.net>
FollowsNashton

On 29 Aug 2014 18:14, Nashton wrote:

Nashton
On 2014-08-29 5:23 PM, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
On 29 Aug 2014 20:19:09 GMT, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <c6bmhhF1ljdU1@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd Parsons
I've said I wasn't happy with the path Apple is taking with Yosemite, And I wasn't enamored of the look and feel of iOS7 for the same reasons. Skinny font, little contrast and shades of pastel. All make It difficult on my eyes.

Sandman
So, is there some reason why you're not selecting a bold font, and higher contrast in the accessability settings on your iPhone?

Lloyd Parsons
I played around with lots of settings. Never found a combo I liked enough on anything but the retina screen. Unfortunately the MBPr is usually connected to an external monitor.

Sandman
Macbook? I was in reference to your iPhone above.

Lloyd Parsons
Same difference, smaller screen just exacerbates the issues.

Sandman
Uh, no - you said "skinny font" and "little contrast", which can be set in the settings. I asked why those settings didn't help you. It's what they are there for, after all.

Lloyd Parsons
What I found is that if you go to accessibility, they are in general overkill and make things uglier. Just an opinion.

Sandman
Of course, but you specifically said the font was skinny and the contrast was low - both of which can be fixed in the settings. If you don't think the font is "pretty" enough, there is no setting for that. I have a legitimate fix for your specific complain, so you either have more untold complains or you have no tried the fix.

Lloyd Parsons
Did you miss where I said I had tried that already? I fiddled with all that crap on the phone and iPad when iOS7 got installed on them. Bottom line was that it wasn't an 'improvement'. Yes easier to read, But uglier imo.

Nashton
There are intangibles that cannot be put into words. What becomes the proverbial final straw can be a number of things. A string of unreliable hardware, the lack of innovation, the arrogance of the company, the cash hoarding, the far and disdain of being caught in some closed garden dictated by the biggest tech company in the word.

In my case it is quite simply the new butt-ugly UI. No other real Reason. The hardware and OS are fine. As to cash hoarding, well I Don't give a shit, doesn't have a single thing to do with why I would Or wouldn't use a product.

And MS' garden is just a closed, just bigger.

You had your reasons for switching and I had mine. I don't hold grudges but you did say a lot of nasty things about how "windows has rotted my brain", how "my problems weren't real" and the list goes on. I sincerely hope you never *ever* encounter a glitch and that your computing experience will be free of problems and headaches as mine has become.

Yes I did! And it wasn't you switching to Windows, it was your Attitude and that hasn't changed.

I fully expect I'll have no problems, or just some that are so minor it doesn't matter. Just as I expected that of Apple gear over the Years and was rewarded by my expectations being met.

Lloyd Parsons
But it really doesn't matter at this point. The iPhone 5 is in Verizon's hot little hands and the HTC One is in mine!! :)

The die is cast...

Sandman
For the sound of it - needlessly so.

Lloyd Parsons
Not at all.

But then again I'm at the stage of my life where 'needs' aren't all That big a thing. It is wants.

Nashton
Well said. So far (fingers crossed) my switch to Windows has been without any hiccups or negative experiences. I must admit though that I am enjoying my jailbroken iPad and can't wait for the iOS 8 jailbreak.

Never found a reason to jailbreak and can't think of a single reason Why I would do it now.

--

Lloyd from SurfacePro via NewsgroupsRT