Re: Another step towards Wi...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
Message-ID<slrnm0ekuf.o4q.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsLloyd Parsons

In article <c6oruiFgi8mU1@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Sandman
Ok, so "dull" to me would be "less color" whend iscussing colors, and we've established that iOS does not have less color than earlier iOS versions, so I have no idea what you mean by "dull" in relation to your earlier comments.

Lloyd Parsons
No "we've" not established that at all. At best, "you've" established that in your own mind. That's not quite the same thing.

Uh, no, I've substantiated that with proof, remember? If anything, it is "unestablished" in your mind, but objectively established in reality.

Now, if you have something to counter that proof and substantiation, you're welcome to do so - but to claim it only exists in "my mind" is disingenious of you.

But in reality 'dull' doesn't just mean the color, though that is part of it. It is lack of contrast, pale pastel colors, flatness and so forth.

Ok, let's break that down. Using the screenshot as reference again:

<>

1. Lack of contrast I can sort of buy this - when icons and UI is in 3D it gets more contrast "for free" so to speak. Shadows lift it from the background and gradients create contrasting color values. In many apps, the more stilistic approach in iOS7 makes it more detailed and less noisy, however. Note the Settings app, that is more clear, not as "busy". Same with Safari that is much more clearly a compass and not a mess of colors, shades, shapes and a world map beneath.

2. Pale pastel colors This is just flat out wrong. The colors are mostly exactly the same in iOS7 as in iOS6, they only lack the gradient and "3D" look to it. While Notes have an orange top instead of a brown top, several have more lively colors, like the Photos app, the Weather app, Passbook and Game Center. Even the iTunes Store and the Music app have more lively colors, not paler.

3. Flatness Wait a minute now! Isn't this a thread about you moving *to* Windows? Surely you can't really claim that the iOS UI is too flat, so you're moving to Windows - the flattest UI you could ever find? I'm going to disregard this claim outright.

All combined, makes iOS7 and beyond a very dull boy!

So, lesser contrast in some icons, same color vibrancy as before, and less flat than the platform you've switched to means iOS is "dull". Hmmmm....

If you like that, stick with it. I don't, so I won't. You'll get to enjoy some things that don't matter to me that are coming, but that isn't of any concern to me.

Sandman
I know. And again, I couldn't care less about the fact that you are, or have, switched. I'm just trying to understand the motives behind that, and you're making that increasinly difficult for every post :-D

Lloyd Parsons
It's the plot of the story. I thought, what could I possibly post that would screw with Sandman's mind the most? Seems I hit the nail on the head.

Indeed - illogic stuff tends to do just that! Mission accomplished! :)

-- Sandman[.net]