Sandman
SubjectRe: Another step towards Windows
Message-ID<slrnm0c859.i6f.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsDavid Fritzinger
FollowupsAlan Baker (12m) > Sandman
David Fritzinger (27m) > Sandman

In article <dfritzin-308825.08223202092014@news.eternal-september.org>, David Fritzinger wrote:

Sandman
How do you know? That it was informed, I mean. There are plenty of valid and informed reasons to switch to something that isn't an iPhone, but as far as I can make out, the "informed decision" he made was "Eh, this isn't pretty enough for me, what is?" and ended up with a Windows phone.

David Fritzinger
Simple. He found something about the iOS and Mac UI that he found very unpleasant for him. He looked at other platforms, and they were no as unpleasant to use.

"Use" was never a parameter, only looks. At least as far as we know.

That is his decision, and really, it affects no one but him.

No one has claimed otherwise. :)

Let's say, I personally disagree with his decision, but he had every right to make it.

You're mixing things up again. No one has disagreed with his decision as far as I have seen. No one is saying he doesn't have a right to make decisions, so that's another non sequitur.

I am questioning the *motives* behind the decision, which are either more than we know, or really superficial.

And, considering that Lloyd has been posting here for years, and has never been a troll, IMHO, we should let him do what he feels is right for him.

Again, who hasn't? Who has said he has made a mistake, that he is wrong or that he should switch back? Who?

AFAIAC, we should leave him alone and let him live with, and hopefully enjoy his decision. He isn't like Nashton, who now comes back to insult everyone here and say everything he has is better than anything any of us own.

Sandman
Neither is he being insulted by anyone here. Not sure why you're making such a big deal out of it.

David Fritzinger
Simply because his decision is made, and continuing to argue with him about it is like flogging a dead horse.

Who is arguing with him about *what*? What is the argument?

An argument is between two people that have opposing views that want to persuade the other to change his or her mind.

Sandman
If I were to post here and say I switched to Windows because I thought my Mac Pro smelled odd, I'm sure you would question the motives behind my decision as well, or rather - you SHOULD. :)

I.e. you have no problem with me switching to Windows, you couldn't care less about that, but you WOULD challenge my motives behind that switch.

David Fritzinger
I would certainly think you were mistaken, and might mention it once or twice.

There you go.

He is doing this gracefully, and he has the right not to be insulted because some disagree with his decision.

Sandman
Who has insulted him?

David Fritzinger
By continually challenging his motives, you are.

How so? Why would having ones motives challenged be an *insult*??

The fact is that the most frequent task one does with a computer or device (namely interacting with it) was made unpleasant for him by Apple's UI choices. So he decided to change the OS he used. That is a personal choice. Now, if he were to start posting here saying that everything Apple is s**t, like some idiots we know, then he would be fair game, IMO.

I am questioning his motives. I am not insulting him, calling him names or being aggresive or having a bad attitude. I haven't claimed he made the wrong choice, I haven't said he's wrong about anything.

Yet, you're saying I'm *insulting* him? That's just weird.

-- Sandman[.net]