Re: mac sales down

Steve Carroll
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromSteve Carroll
Date05/13/2008 15:32 (05/13/2008 07:32)
Message-ID<trollkiller-5A61A8.07323413052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>
FollowsZnU

In article <znu-2FB6C6.00391413052008@news.individual.net>, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <l01i24h4hee6q0r9hphjnljrjp9gacb4kp@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:41:27 -0400, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <trollkiller-4CE796.06595912052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>, Steve Carroll <trollkiller@TK.com>wrote:

Not all that compelling in the long run, I think, since people buy new computers every few years anyway. And since Macs run Windows now, there's no particular risk in a Windows user buying one. If it turns out they're not happy with OS X, they can just use it as a Windows machine.

Mayor Of R'lyeh
Which would make sense if the prices were even cloe to equal. Since they're not you get the clamor for MacOS X for generic HW.

ZnU
OK, but that just turns this back into the price issue, which we're already discussing elsewhere.

I believe the average price of a computer system still hovers around $850. People look at the Mini and quickly look away. It doesn't matter that Apple competes on the tier of pricing they compete on... they don't compete on the pricing tier where the average system price lives.

-- "Apple is pushing how green this is - but it [Macbook Air] is clearly disposable... when the battery dies you can pretty much just throw it away". - Snit